PDA

View Full Version : Tear down..

Lablatt
05-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Im interested in getting my frame, subframe, and swingarm powdercoated, the only thing that is stopping me is the tear down of the bike. Is there a book, or a how to on tearing a bike down to the frame? I have all the proper tools and everything, I just like instructions.

Any idea how much a shop would charge to tear down / rebuild? I would rather do it myself.

2004 400ex

Thanks!

sixer3
05-08-2006, 08:50 PM
the shop would charge an arm and a leg, honestly its not too hard, if you can take it apart you can put it back together, i would just recomend dedicating a day to each part of the fram first, maybe the front end one-day, motor and electricals the next, then the rear-end, otherwise you can get a manual that shows you where every part is, every torque measurement and good tips on how to's and other things like lubing and cleaning things before you re-assemble your ride.....look for a clymer manual at your local shop

Lablatt
05-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks, I just googled clymer, and I had no idea there was manual for such a thing. Are their books easy to follow? I may purchase one, pending on the responses I get from this forum.

sixer3
05-08-2006, 09:11 PM
clymer is the BEST, never ever waste money on the cd version of some manual, the honda shop manual is ok, but as for opinions and how to's clymer is the best, i've bought one for every bike i've owned so far....good luck....doing it yourself is always funnest and most rewarding, i do all of my own work :) good luck, you cannot go wrong with a clymer

440_Turtle
05-09-2006, 05:48 AM
I had to replace a base gasket on my bike the other week, so i bought a Clymer manual off of EBAY and it was so helpful and easy. now if i can just get my side cases back from teh powder coater i can continue the reassembly.