PDA

View Full Version : Question for aceoutdoor

blholtz
05-08-2006, 08:35 PM
really wondering what came of the transmission whine you had on your LTR. Did suzuki work it out for you or is it still happening?

05-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Suzuki wouldn't do anything, they said its normal. I even ran semi-synthetic like they recommended and it still whined loudly. I am now running Maxima Extra 10/40 full synthetic(Best oil made in my opinion) and so far so good, if its grinding I can't hear it. I have not had a chance to run it hard for an long/extended ride though to see if it re-appears. I have heard of a few isolated riders blowing their gearbox out though(stripped gears), hopefully mine holds up. Besides that and the cheesy weld(or lack of) on the linkage mount, I have to say the LTR is the best production quad ever made. With some suspension and motor work watch out.

blholtz
05-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the info. I just changed the oil in my machine. I put in Maxima4 ultra 5w 40 hope this will work out for me. LOve my Ltr also, had a banshee before this and I haven't looked back since.

Did the whine that occurred in your machine come and go depending on how fast you had the engine revving or was it all the time. The reason I ask this is because mine seems to come and go like a loose bolt or piece of metal that only vibrates at a specific harmonic vibration.

At least that is what it seems to me.

Suzuki gave no indication to you as to the cause of the whine.

05-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Suzuki said the gears were meshed tight, and that was normal gear noise. At least that was what the dealer said Suzuki told him. Those gears must be tight as a virigin on prom night! LOL It may be tight tolerances, or a shift fork rubbing, I just don't know without splitting the cases which I will do after the warranty is up. Mine did it on decelleration in 2nd and 3rd, on and off but only when the motor was hot. Yeah Maxima makes some great stuff, you just pay for it. I never thought I would say it but I don't miss my LRD 310R one bit now. I've rode 450r's and YFZ's and I have to honestly say the LTR is where its at. Good luck with yours.

blholtz
05-08-2006, 09:35 PM
And good luck to you with yours also, I love riding this thing. Love the way it flies flat, the worst part of jumping is in my head after jumping a nose heavy banshee for so long thisthing will sail I just have to let it.

ScooterBike
05-09-2006, 12:17 AM
also had that gearbox noise like ACE, but not again since the first oil change... :confused:

blholtz
05-09-2006, 06:25 AM
That sound like a relief, hopefully the maxima oil will help lube those gears enough to kill the whine. And if not one of two things will occur

1. As the tranmission gets more time on it the gears will wear in a bit and the whine will diminish.

2. the gears will over heat from the added friction and the tranny will let go. (God I pray that this doesn't happen and if it does at least the person riding the machine at the time of the failure wil not be hurt to severely, better yet not at all.)

goldrims04
05-10-2006, 08:44 PM
i had the noise and since i ran semi synsetic no more noise for me:D