PDA

View Full Version : Decisions for XC front end

450RGNCC
05-08-2006, 06:18 PM
I have finally decided to buy a new set of a-arms for my quad. My current set up is +2 LT Burgards with comp/ reb adj Axis shocks. I have narrowed my choices down a little bit, but I am still not totally sure what I want for XC. I want to use the Axis shocks that I have now which are 18.5" and I will just get them revalved. So far, I have been considering the Houser max ground clearance, the Lonestar DC-4 XC (the website says that they use 18.25" shocks so I dont know if they will work), and I have also been looking at Laeger's (they do not list any xc arms on their site, so maybe someone can tell me what they have to offer and if my shocks will work), and also the Epic XC arms (I also cannot find much info on these or what length shock they use). So if anyone has any suggestions of what to get, what not to get, or any more info on any of these set-ups, I would love to hear it. This set of arms will probably be the last set that I buy for a LONG time, so i want the ones that will work the best and last the longest. Thanks in advance, Jason.

IOWAracer
05-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Im not sure on the shocks size for the LoneStar's but they would be my choice them or ARS/FX.

Broc

400exrules
05-08-2006, 07:08 PM
how do u get through trails with +2 arms??? im scrapin trees with my front tires with stock arms on my 400ex. must not be very tight trails

450RGNCC
05-08-2006, 07:14 PM
I was thinking about the ARS-FX set up, but I am pretty sure that it uses a longer shock and I have heard that their service is horrible and good luck getting replacement parts, so I want to go with a company that is going to have some better customer service.

I usually run a pretty open track, but yesterday I ran a pretty tight track for the first time and it was REALLY tight in some spots... I just had to hold on, hit the throttle, and pray.

IOWAracer
05-08-2006, 07:30 PM
I would go with lonestar I am gonna do a lonestar ohlins setup for next year did you race the Showtime GNCC?

Broc

DJJ450r
05-08-2006, 08:03 PM
I'm gettin either the LSR or Houser slicast. I've rode on the Housers and I really like them, but I might be able to get a deal on the LSR arms. If I were you I'd get the Housers, the ars-fx is nice but its expensive. Heres a pic of my friends' bike with ars-fx and Houser.

450RGNCC
05-08-2006, 08:29 PM
No, I raced a local harescramble.

Thanks for the info. This is going to be a tough decision.

DRT
05-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by IOWAracer
I would go with lonestar I am gonna do a lonestar ohlins setup for next year did you race the Showtime GNCC?

Broc

I just did that same set up for this year ........very happy :D

450rgncc 18 1/2 shocks should work fine you just prolly have to revalve them for XC with the LSR arms.I dropped my quad off to have the socks built.We got max travel out of the A-arms and the shock ended up being just under 18 3/4.
I'll post some pics for ya

watts16
05-08-2006, 08:51 PM
My LSR DC-4 are going to be here next week. Got a great deal on them. I will be going with Custom Axis, Motowoz, or Ohlins.

450RGNCC
05-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Ok, thanks for the info. At this point I think that I am leaning towards the Lonestars, but I am still not sure. More pics would be awesome.

quadjeff
05-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Holz XC arms www.holzracingproducts.com. In stock with shocks and worth the money 360-398-9686.. Check out Adam's quad at the next GNCC... Top of the line hardware...

DJJ450r
05-09-2006, 02:10 PM
I just got off the phone with Lonestar and they are giving me the deal that I wanted, there just waiting on the tie rods and they will be shipped:D Now I have to order my axis:blah:

450RGNCC
05-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Well, I gave all of the companies a call and did some more research, and I have ruled a few of them out. Holz and ARS-FX are a little pricy for me, Laegers uses a longer shock, so they wont work (though if I was buying arms and shocks i would prob go with them), and I cant find any info on Epic at all. So, my decision now is definitely between Houser and Lonestar. The main difference b/w the two is that Lonestar is +.75 forward, where Houser is stock location, so I dont know if that will help me or not, Lonestar also has a Lifetime warranty against pretty much anything (Does Houser have a warranty?), and the Lonestar arms are also cheaper. However, I do like that Houser uses needle bearings, it will be easier to set caster, and they use sealed dust caps which should help keep water and other junk out to extend bearing life. Also, with the housers, they were specifically designed to use 18.5" shocks, so it will be easier to have them revalved. I hate tough decicsions.

Dave400ex
05-10-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm sure you will be happy with either one. The Housers are built for a 18-1/2 long shock so that is a plus. I don't think you will go wrong with either. I plan on running the Housers with Elka Elites...

gbcap
05-11-2006, 06:23 PM
i have max clearence housers. i love them. the fixed ones that is. fit was perfect after i got the new ones with the changed lower arms. that is all they are making now so you should be good to go.

they are just the right witdh for the woods as long as you don't go wider on the rear end. i am running 3-2 wheels and love them.

1BAD4FIFTY
05-12-2006, 11:21 PM
I've got the Houser max clearance Slicast and Custom Axis on mine and LOVE IT!! You'll definitly be satisfied with them! Simply amazing! Here's a couple of pics.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/1BAD4FIFTY/My%20450R/DSC04334.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/1BAD4FIFTY/My%20450R/DSC04336.jpg