PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous

sixer3
05-08-2006, 03:42 PM
gettin a pretty good deal on some nitrous, i wnted to throw it on my stock 400ex, other than a pipe, filter, and 450r carb....

im not at all familiar with nos, it is a wet nos system with adjustable duration and shots...i was thinkin a max of 15 hp gain?....or is that too much for a stock motor,

also is there anything else i should do to the motor pre-nitrous...
any other information on nitrous would be greatly appreciated, thank a lot

zeppelin
05-08-2006, 04:55 PM
i wouldnt recomend it, but i wont lie, i know almost absolutely nothing about nos. i think wilkin250r can help you out though, im pretty sure he used some on a 250x for awhile.

bradrenea
05-09-2006, 01:39 AM
It probably would not be a bad idea to run some race gas when you are planning on spraying it. NOS more or less increases the compression ratio by allowing more air/fuel into the cylinder. Well, it does not increase the compression ratio, it increases cylinder pressure, which has about the same effect. Anyway, if you don't run good gas you will experience detonation and bad things will happen.(kaboom!!!)

As far as things to do to your quad before hand, I can not tell you anything quad specific, since I have never ran it on a quad.
I have played with it on my car, anywhere from 200hp-400hp shot, so I do have some NOS experience.

sixer3
05-09-2006, 07:36 AM
ya, so full race on a stock motor, i'll be running a lot more without spray than with it, will running full race or 91/race 50/50 be alright to right around normally...im sure it would but i dont want performance issues outside of the button, thanks i did a lot of research, sounds like increase octane will definately help it from leaning out, thanks man

bradrenea
05-09-2006, 07:50 AM
It should probably be fine with mixed gas. It really depends on how much you are spraying.
On my car, when I put bigger jets in the NOS plate I have to run better gas and retard the timing a little more than usual. The bigger shot you go with, the higher octane you will need. Its just like compression ratio- the higher you go the better fuel you need.

Also, increasing octane will not keep it from leaning out. That is done with jet size and fuel pressure regulation. Increasing octane will merely keep it from detonating due to the raised cylinder pressures.
Does the kit your buying come with a fuel pressure regulator?

wilkin250r
05-09-2006, 07:50 AM
First off, you should do research, and learn why nitrous works and what it does. Google is a great tool. In that research, you'll learn many of the problems and issues to look out for.

You should be safe with 15HP, as long as you don't activate it at low RPMs. Nitrous is fed at a constant rate, so if you inject 0.1 ounce per revolution at 6000rpm, it becomes 0.2 ounces at 3000rpm, and 0.4 ounces at 1500rpm. That 0.4 ounces in one combustion cycle could be enough to blow your motor up.

As far as "preparing" your motor and things you can do, just make sure your engine is in good shape. Like any extra power, it will add extra stress on the crank and rod, the clutch, and put extra pressure on the rings and gaskets. Other than that, it doesn't make much sense to "prepare" your motor for nitrous, why bother preparing your motor for something that is only going to be used 0.1% of the time. That's the beauty of nitrous, it doesn't really need a bunch of alterations, it's almost "bolt on" horsepower.

bradrenea
05-09-2006, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
First off, you should do research, and learn why nitrous works and what it does. Google is a great tool. In that research, you'll learn many of the problems and issues to look out for.

Yeah, and knowing how it works and what it does will make it alot easier on you when you are tuning it. It always helps when you know WHY you are doing what you are doing.

dsmlover
05-09-2006, 12:16 PM
and i dont know what kind you have, but NOS is a brand, not an abrevation, so call it nitrous, sorry its a pet peeve

sixer3
05-09-2006, 02:38 PM
i was just wondering how a higher octane gas as to run the nitrous effectively would effect my normal riding performance

zeppelin
05-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by dsmlover
and i dont know what kind you have, but NOS is a brand, not an abrevation, so call it nitrous, sorry its a pet peeve
its just like band-aids, its a brand name and the correct term is adhesive bandages, but every one calls it band-aids instead because it is easier to say, and the most common brand.

bradrenea
05-10-2006, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by sixer3
i was just wondering how a higher octane gas as to run the nitrous effectively would effect my normal riding performance

The only thing it should effect is your pocketbook.

kingdingaling
05-11-2006, 11:33 PM

YES!!! I thought i was the only one who called it by the right name!!....I blame "The Fast and the Furious!!"

sixer3
05-12-2006, 12:18 AM
o well, you all knew what i was talking about when i said nos...anyways back to NITROUS.... do the fuel jets usually excede the size of the nitrous jets? lemme know how you guys rn yours, oviously im going to need to do my own eperimenting, also will i have enough time to notice my micture is lean to fix it before it blows my motor?....what are some symptoms of being lean or rich, same as usual?

bradrenea
05-12-2006, 06:36 AM
Jet size really depends on the injection system, bottle pressure, fuel pressure, line size, etc... There are a lot of factors that affect jet size.
I had a 125-250 shot plate on my car and it took the same size jets for the nitrous and fuel. Then I changed to a 250-400 shot plate and it uses a smaller fuel jet than nitrous jet. And with the new plate a 110 nitrous jet is good for 350 hp, on the old plate the same jet was only good for 200 hp. So, there are a lot of different variables that affect jet size.
Your best bet would be to find someone who is running a similar setup to yours and find out what thier jetting is, and then use that as a starting point. Once you get it installed try it for a very short duration and then jet from there. If it is very lean there will be small specks of aluminum on the porcelin part of the plug. Jet by reading the plug just like you would jet a carburetor. If it is a new kit it will probably come with some decent tuning instructions, otherwise you can probably find some online.

dsmlover and kingdingaling: What does it really matter what he calls it, everyone knows what he is talking about. I guess you guys use "self locking pliers" instead of Visegrips, and "adjustable pliers" instead of Channel Locks?

sixer3
05-12-2006, 04:12 PM
thanks for the help man, really appreciate it, cant wait for it to get here

05-13-2006, 01:08 AM
thanks for the help man, really appreciate it, cant wait for it to get here

thats going to be cool make sure you take pics of intallation! :D

also did you ship that carb

im a wreak without being able to ride :(

i was driving the lawnmower around because i couldnt dive the 4 wheeler :p

05-13-2006, 01:11 PM
unless it has EFI dont bother. what if you're quad miss fires?!?!

you need a guarenteed spark. not saying it wont work, but it is kinda silly.

sixer3
05-13-2006, 08:41 PM
I'm not too worried about that, what would efi have to do with missing a spark anyways

flauge
05-14-2006, 12:36 AM
You should'nt have too much trouble with it just make sure u start with a small shot first. Just remember this, nitrous isnt some mystery gas, its just 33% oxygen and 66% nitrogen. Just more air going to the motor, really.Some supercooled air. So you have to jet accordingly to keep from leaning out. Make sure you run higher octane gas too because detenation w/ nitrous is a lot more harder on the motor than detenating all motor.

sixer3
05-14-2006, 12:58 AM
yah i've figured that whole oxygen deal out through a few car forums and wilkins old posts....anybody have any ideas on how to mount it into my stock rubber boot, or should have an aluminum one fab'd up special? i know a guy who could probably do it if we really thought about it something neither one of us is too good at;)

cbizzle82
05-14-2006, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

As far as "preparing" your motor and things you can do, just make sure your engine is in good shape. Like any extra power, it will add extra stress on the crank and rod, the clutch, and put extra pressure on the rings and gaskets. Other than that, it doesn't make much sense to "prepare" your motor for nitrous, why bother preparing your motor for something that is only going to be used 0.1% of the time. That's the beauty of nitrous, it doesn't really need a bunch of alterations, it's almost "bolt on" horsepower. IM SORRY BUT ITS THE SAME AS CARS PEOPLE BUILD THEIR MOTORS FOR NITROUS THATS WHY THE CASUAL SPRAYERS THAT JUST THROW A SHOT ON AND SPRAY AWAY ALWAYS END UP BLOWING A MOTOR

BUT BACK 2 THE SUBJECT WHAT ARE U PLANING ON DOING WITH YOUR QUAD THAT U WANT TO SPRAY IT?

flauge
05-14-2006, 12:33 PM
yah i've figured that whole oxygen deal out through a few car forums and wilkins old posts....anybody have any ideas on how to mount it into my stock rubber boot, or should have an aluminum one fab'd up special? i know a guy who could probably do it if we really thought about it something neither one of us is too good at;) U mean how to mount the nozzle? if its the kind of nozzle i think it is, u just drill a hole into the intake boot., Im guesing theres a bung included in the kit, screw that in the hole, then u just screw the nozzle in...Your kit might be different tho...

05-14-2006, 06:35 PM
you can buy a civic intake system and drill a hole in the alum intake.

1fst400
05-14-2006, 08:34 PM
some day I want to put it on my 400ex. it would be fun. In my mind it would be cool to hide everything like in the seat or in the frame tubes or sumthing. A completely stelth system. Like cut a section of the frame out and weld in a bottle with some taps. Ha, that would be sweet. I have heard of people doing that with roll cages to drag cars.

Only thing that is realy stoping be from buying a kit is the 800$ price tag! and I just dont know quite enough about it to cob up my own kit.

It would be sweet to blow a yfz away on the holeshot tho. Now every week I get absolutly waisted by moast every 450 on the holeshot. Once and a while I can get kinda a rolling cheeter start, but event then I still get wooped.

anyone know if Nitrous is race leagal? Like in an open class of course.

nakomis0
05-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Just tap the spray nozzle right into the boot. Use some sealer, and point the outlet so it sprays into the carb.

I used boonDockers bottle and it mounted under my seat. No one could see it. It was a tight fit but even with a 39mm fcr it still slid in.

I used 30hp shots. Never used it on the holeshot, to afraid I would hit the rev limiter and get spark cut out...

If anyones interested in buying my kit. It comes with everything needed, the boondockers bottle and another 5lbs bottle. It does need a fuel pump which is $45 but I can order that and get it. I chose a bad mounting spot and I squished it. :) If someone wants it $350 trick440@hotmail.com

sixer3
05-14-2006, 11:04 PM
yah, i'll be trading in the 5lb bottle my kit came with for a 2lb or so...5lbs is too dang big...i got my kit for 300 its a cold fusion, came with a spare bnib solenoid too