PDA

View Full Version : chain removal

buster024
05-08-2006, 03:08 PM
ok, so next dumb question (I could probably stupid my way through it, but it's nice to hear an answer from someone who's done it). What's the best way to remove the chain on my '05 400ex?

sixer3
05-08-2006, 03:46 PM
once you remove the chain it is gone for good,you will need a chain tool also know as a chain-breaker any atv/ motorcycle store will have one, also remember it is a good idea when replacing the chain to replace both sprockets, as the wear pattern will be different....anyways not too hard a task just get a chain tool, bout 20 bucks or so but its worth it, it will last forever and you will need one mopre times than you think

GPracer2500
05-08-2006, 03:56 PM
If all your doing is trying to take an old chain off to junk it for a new one than you can just cut it off with a grinding wheel or hacksaw.

Installing the new one generally requires a chain tool.

ohsobad_chevy
05-10-2006, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by buster024
ok, so next dumb question (I could probably stupid my way through it, but it's nice to hear an answer from someone who's done it). What's the best way to remove the chain on my '05 400ex?

Allright man, for starters, there is no such thing as a dumb question when you want information. First you need to loosen your chain tensioner and take off your case saver. You can break it with a chain breaker or you can use a dremel tool and grind out one of the pins. After you do that you can replace it witha master link.

hondarider2006
05-10-2006, 09:50 AM
are you trying to save the chain....or are you taking it off to replace it with a new chain?

If you are trying to save it, I would get a chain tool, and remove a link. You will have to purchase a masterlink to put the chain back togeather, but it should work. Or you can spend the time doing the dremel thing, haven't tried that one yet though

If you don't care about the chain, just use some bolt cutter. They work great when you are in a a hurry and just want to cut the damn thing off.

Also you might be able to take your case saver off, and remove your front sproket. NOT sure if this would work to remove the chain as a whole, but it might