PDA

View Full Version : 04' Can't Keep Running

unsure400ex
05-08-2006, 06:51 AM
Have an 04' 400ex bought new in 05'. Ran perfect when I bought it and had absolutely no problems with keeping a smooth idle. Now, I am having problems even keeping it running. It's completly stock and nothing has been adjusted except turning up the carb trying to just keep it idling. It will start and sound like it is going to come to idle, but then all of the sudden it will come to an abrupt stop. I can keep it running by staying on the gas, but I have to stay on it pretty 'hard' on down shifts to alleviate dead stops. After about an hour, it seems like once the engine is hot it will stay at an idle. Thought it may have been some bad gas so i ran 92 through it, nothing. Thinking it may be the spark, any info would be appreciated

underpowered
05-08-2006, 07:15 AM
sounds like your pilot jet is clogged. try having your carb cleaned or getting a new pilot jet.

smitht316
05-08-2006, 01:30 PM
yeah definately sounds like a carb problem not a spark problem

PismoLocal
05-08-2006, 01:32 PM
remove your carb, take off the flaot bowl and clean everything.

underpowered
05-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
remove your carb, take off the flaot bowl and clean everything.

take out all the jets, air screw, ect.. clean everything really well. Or take it somewhere and have it dipped in an ultrasonic cleaner. After going ultrasonic, there is no better way. so easy too. nothin will get your carb cleaner.

-copyguy-
05-09-2006, 06:24 AM
I have a 2000 that I bought used and started having the same issue with it...stalling out when I got on it. Main jet in the carb had some black stringy lookin stuff in it. Cleaned it out and it came back again after an hour of riding.

The screen in the gas tank was clean, so the stuff wasn't coming from the tank.

I ended up changing the short rubber gas line between the tank and the carb, since that's the only place I could find black stuff between the tank and the carb :D Even though the dealer said he had never heard of one of those lines coming apart, replacing that line fixed my problem.

I guess the point is, if you find junk in your carb, look at it and try to figure out what it is.

Good luck.

bmurray
05-09-2006, 05:31 PM
yep, clean your carb. good luck.

SHADETREE101
05-10-2006, 06:47 AM
when they break in someitmes they don't seat properly and will give you the same problems. might be hanging open.