PDA

View Full Version : z vs. TRx Can this really be true ??

Def-e-nition
05-08-2006, 02:37 AM
Quoted from another Site :

"I have a dyno here of a Z with just a jet kti and a full exhaust, and it made 40HP.
you will be lucky to get 32HP with a TRX with the same mods

But CT racing, who uses the same exhaust as Belchior, says the TRX with 440 kit makes 39HP, while the older Z makes 37. On the dyno I have seen that a new Z makes abotu 2 to 3 HP more than the older models, plus I have a 40HP dyno run, which sounds liek the new Z's can make 40 HP easy"

Can ths be true guys? Hell - makes me want to sell my Trx almost straight away ...crikey .

GPracer2500
05-08-2006, 03:17 AM
A TRX400EX with just exhaust and jetting is gonna be a little over 30hp peak. They're not powerhouses. From what I've seen, it takes a 12.5:1 440 with a cam, porting, and other goodies to get over 40hp. Here's an example to give you an idea (examples vary of course--that looks awfully healthy for a bone stock 400EX):

http://www.geocities.com/gtthunder.geo/440exmod.jpg
[Image courtesy of GT Thunder]

The 400EX is a good, solid quad that I'll always think of fondly. I'll keep mine forever as a second quad if I have the $$$ and garage space to do it. BUT personally, I'm putting $0 more into my 400EX since selling it and saving up for a 450 is the alternative. It just takes too many modifications to produce competitive HP. Having a machine that is tuned to the hilt is fine (good even) in some context. However, as a do everything, easy to live with, all-around machine the newer 450s just make more sense. That's just me though.

It's not hard to get a TRX450R (particularly an 06'. 04'/05' isn't as strong) or a YFZ450 at or over 45hp with mild mods (i.e. intake/exhaust/carburation).

GPracer2500
05-08-2006, 03:28 AM
LTZ400s are more powerful than TRX400EXs but not by a whole lot. This is a page from a 2003 DirtWheels pipe shoot-out. (I should add that I don't trust what's published in DirtWheels any farther than I can throw the magazine--but this page provides some indication of Z400 hp.)

http://www.ctracing.com/z400-pipe-shootout-5.jpg

Def-e-nition
05-08-2006, 04:08 AM
mmmm. it makes sense though fo rthat year model 97 to run 34 Hp . even that is still mre than the 05 06 model Trex they are pushing out from the factory . I'd like em to up grad the motor .

i agree with you on the paying too much on the 400- I'd sooner go up to the 450 before spending so much on my bike .

i notice they say That the increase in power removing the air lid reduced wheel spin - can you explain how more power would reduce wheelspin /???