PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank removal

yernkie
05-07-2006, 07:57 PM
I feel like an idiot for even asking, but I am a first time 400ex owner and I need to know the easiest wat to remove the fuel tank/front plastics.

miller821
05-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by yernkie
I feel like an idiot for even asking, but I am a first time 400ex owner and I need to know the easiest wat to remove the fuel tank/front plastics.
Pretty easy.. But since your new I won't make fun of you:p But anyways, take off the 4 black tabs that are holding down the gas tank cover... Then take that off, and get a 10mm(I think, if not its an 8) and take the two bolts off of the front of the gas tank (they are directly beneath your bars)... Once thats off remove the hose thats attached to the on,off, reserve thingy... Its easier to take off your black side plastics, which is pretty easy, just get an allen wrench and take off the two black tabs...

NacsMXer
05-07-2006, 08:07 PM
1st thing, take off the rear fenders. Up by the tank, look at the tank cover, there will be 2 plastic pop rivets at the rear and the front of the tank cover. Use a flat blade screwdriver to pry up the center part of the pop rivet, then get under it with the blade to pull it out completely. Temporarily remove the gas cap so you can remove the tank cover. Now, look under the front fenders and you will see where they mount. I forget if it is another pop rivet or a bolt there, but remove it, and the front fenders will be free.

To completely remove the front plastics, you will have to look underneath and disconnect 2 wires by pulling the black rubber connector apart and another 2 that have white plastic and green plastic connections that attach to the frame. You will need a small flat screwdriver to unlock the tab on the connectors. Look in that area and you will see what I am talking about. Once you disconnect those wires for the lights and ignition, the front plastics will be free.

Now, to remove the tank, there are two bolts that hold it down in front, remove them. Remove the rubber straps that hold the tank on on either side. The final thing holding the tank on is the fuel hose at the petcock. Use a pair of pliers to loosen the spring clamp on the hose, then pull it off (don't forget to turn the fuel to OFF 1st!) Sounds complicated, but it is very simple to do ;)

yernkie
05-07-2006, 08:08 PM
thanks...that what i needed.