PDA

View Full Version : rev kit vs timing key

TRX23rider
05-07-2006, 05:07 PM
what are the pros and cons of each? i know that the timing key advances your timing and the rev kit raises the rev limiter and some advance teh timing as well, but what would be the best to buy for some cheap horsepower? do either of these hurt the reliabilty of the enigine?

GPracer2500
05-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Advancing the ignition timing increases the likelyhood of the abnormal combustion phenomenon known as detonation. Other than that, there is no realibility concerns that I'm aware of. With stock compression and premium pump gas, detonation shouldn't be a problem even with addtional ignition advance.

The nice thing about advancing the timing with a rev box is that you can go back to the stock box quick and easy if you want. And you get the benefit of a higher redline (although of marginal use on a stock engine). But, using a timing key is probably less expensive.

Don't expect a dramatic change in HP by advancing the timing. I'd guess you're looking at perhaps less than a 1 HP difference in the upper RPM ranges. Some gain--yes. But it will hard to detect without a dyno.

That's my $0.02

guinness77
05-09-2006, 12:27 AM
Don't waste you money with a Timing Key. I have a 6-degree key from Curtis Sparks Racing. I'm going to remove it. By advancing the spark timing by 6-degrees of the piston stroke you have to have gas that burns a little slower. That means higher octane. I tried 111 and it worked well. I tried 92 and I got detonation. The increase in performance was hardly noticeable. It's definitely NOT worth the price of racing fuel. I'd rather have the performance rev box.

Just my .02 cents.

jordan_m6
05-09-2006, 07:27 AM
THE REV KIT is a plug and play. you have to tear into the engine for the timing key