PDA

View Full Version : 400ex axle removal with 2 inner lock nuts

PERTU
05-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Hi, i'm trying to remove the axle of my 2001 400ex and im stuck. I looked into the the service manual for TRX400ex and they show only one inner lock nut, but I have 2 on my atv. I tried for one hour to remove those lock nuts but I failed. I tried to put both inner lock nuts as close as possible to the disc brake and the outer lock nut as far away from the disc brake and I saw no stopper ring. I also tried to put both inner lock nuts and the outer lock nut as far away from the disc and I still saw no stopper ring. Next I tried to put one inner lock nut as close as possible to the disc and the other inner lock nut as far away from the disc and I saw no stopper ring. I'm really stuck, so any tips would help. Thank you.

RangerRick
05-07-2006, 08:15 PM
If you havent noticed yet they are reverse thread.;) All you do is tighten(so go in the direction that you normally loosen)till you get to see a clip on the axle under that nut.Pop the clip off and slide off the nut and brake assembly.

PERTU
05-08-2006, 05:37 AM
I tried to turn both ways. Counter clockwise and clockwise and I never saw a clip. And is it normal that I have two inner lock nuts and one outher lock nut? Because I bought my 400ex used and the guy before me may have done something funny with the axle.

NacsMXer
05-08-2006, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by PERTU
I tried to turn both ways. Counter clockwise and clockwise and I never saw a clip. And is it normal that I have two inner lock nuts and one outher lock nut? Because I bought my 400ex used and the guy before me may have done something funny with the axle.

No, it is not normal to have "3" lock nuts. The axle lock nut assembly consists of just the outer axle nut and an inner jam nut that locks the entire deal in place. Get a pic of what yours looks like and we can better help you.

PERTU
05-08-2006, 03:17 PM
http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx400ex%2099-04/rear_axel_-_drive_chain.jpg

I don't have a camera, so I'll try to take a picture when my friend will come. but I found this image. It is the same as my bike, but my axle have 2 part #9, and I think I have no part #11. I'm not sure if I have part #4 either. The two #9 are side by side.

JOEX
05-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by PERTU
http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx400ex%2099-04/rear_axel_-_drive_chain.jpg

I don't have a camera, so I'll try to take a picture when my friend will come. but I found this image. It is the same as my bike, but my axle have 2 part #9, and I think I have no part #11. I'm not sure if I have part #4 either. The two #9 are side by side.
#4 is the threaded sleeve that the two (in your case 3:p ) nuts are on.

If you have thin enough wrenchs you should be able to hold one and turn the other to release it. I don't remember which way to turn but they are left hand threads.

PERTU
05-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks everyone, I tried another time and I got it.