PDA

View Full Version : painting hubs with spray paint help!!!

user101
08-05-2002, 04:46 PM
anyone know anything bout this i thought i read somewhere that if u put a couple of coats of primer and a couple of coats of paint it will hold up well i already have the primer and spray paint rustolem primer and krylon paint

user101
08-05-2002, 08:22 PM
come on guys and gals someone gots to know

08-05-2002, 08:32 PM
The right primer and paint is important but mean nothing if you dont prepare the part right.

It doesnt matter if you sand blast it or chemical strip or even just sand or grind off all the paint and other crap off but you need to have a good base to work with.
You dont need to remove the powder coat if its solid, if so then just sand it up good and use a good wax and grease remover to clean up before any prime or paint.
If your using the same or close color you dont"have to" use prime as the paint will adhere well to properly prepped powder coating.
If you do brake the surface paint or powder coat then do use the primer and be sure its compatible with the paint. You dont want to get the all set up and sanded only to have it curl under the wrong paint.
For painting with a can (krylon etc) make your first coat a dusting only so it get good adhesion and then build up a gloss and coverage on the 2-4th coats.

hope that helps.

user101
08-05-2002, 09:03 PM
ok heres the deal the paint on the hubs is good i just want a

different look. the primer is white also, so does that mean i dont

need primer just paint. will wd-40 be a good degreaser to use.

what do i need to about my bearings.....just tape them off or take

them out. please reply asap.

08-05-2002, 10:29 PM
Ok now put down the WD40 and step away from the hubs. Absolutely do not put it on the hubs, dont even spray it near them. To see what I am talking about go spray some outside on whatever and then spray a little paint on there and see what happens, and not its not art.

If everything is white then you may be better to skip the prime since it will be one less thing to worry about loosing adhesion.

If the hubs are not white now then give it a couple good coats of primer, not real heavy just 2 or 3 light coats to cover the other color.

Just use some 3/4" tape to cover what you dont want to get paint on.

user101
08-06-2002, 07:52 AM
do i jus tneed to rough the paint up so the paint will adhere better or what.

08-21-2002, 02:15 PM
yea, just sand it a little, spray paint can do pretty well if you do it right, just keep that sucker movin ::p