PDA

View Full Version : cam chain sliders

patches85
05-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Is it alright to use stock cam chain sliders with a crf450 cam chain?

patches85
05-08-2006, 02:39 AM
I guess I would have more luck if I was asking some childish question!

GPracer2500
05-08-2006, 02:54 AM
It's a good question. I think the stock sliders will be fine. What alternative is there anyway?

New sliders would probably be ideal as they won't have a wear pattern in them already. Used sliders should just take on a new wear pattern to match the wider CRF cam chain.

thejeepdude
05-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Yes. While installing the 450 cam chain in my "new" 416 last week, I freaked out after taking the clutch completely apart when I realized the new chain was wider and might not fit in the slider. However, after taking the sliders out and running the chain through them I noticed it's a perfect but close fit. Just make sure when you're re-installing the head/cam that the chain is flat in the groove before you let go of the tensioner. On my first try the chain was a little off-center and not sitting flat on the slider. It may have just popped in place upon riding, but I didn't want to take that chance after hearing about other people's failures with the 450 cam chain mod... I'd rather be safe than sorry. I just spent the weekend at the dunes whipping the new motor hard... no problems with the cam chain.

patches85
05-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanx guys ! I was starting to think the only questions you got replies for was "CAN I PUT A RADIO ON MY EX?" or some dumb s##t like that.