PDA

View Full Version : Pipe question

yernkie
05-07-2006, 11:01 AM
I just bought a 01 400. Motor is stock, with the exception of a K&N, no air box lid, and all the guts removed from the stock pipe. This was all just done, and it has not been jetted. Should I jet it with these mods in mind, or should I get a differnt pipe, then jet? What does the stock pipe affect, other than making it sound like crap?

yellowzo3
05-07-2006, 11:55 AM
if you get an aftermarket pipe and a k&n with no airbox lid youll probably need to rejet. Since they took the stock pipe all apart i would jsut get an aftermarket one if you have the money. Everyone seems to like HMF pipes and theyre pretty good. im not sure what the benefit of taking a stock pipe apart inside is, if there is any. hope that helps some

ducman998r
05-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Gutting a pipe is not a good idea... only makes the bike sound loud. Engines do need a certain amount of backpressure... how much, I couldnt tell you. But thats why companies who make aftermarket pipes do what they do... and are in business for a reason. You'll definately need to rejet if you removed the airbox lid.