View Full Version : hybrid help....

spadedsrh4l
05-07-2006, 08:35 AM
I am putting a 426 motor in my LSR roller(88 style), I was wondering if it is a must for the swingarm bolt top go through the motor. The 88 style swingarm is solid! We have it mounted now without the bolt going thorugh the motor. My dad is a welder so the gusseting for the mounts is not a problem..Could you give me feedback...I talked with atv four-play and they said i would be fine...if you could post some pictures of other hybrids up to close with the mounts i would appreciate....

matt250r21
05-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Do yourself a favor, get an 86-87 style swingarm that is 18 1/4 center to center long and run the pivot bolt thru the motor. You will thank youself later.

spadedsrh4l
05-07-2006, 08:48 PM
will it be easier to mount everything else this way....i was told u could do it w/o puttin through the motor...but i dont want to have a haggard quad i want to do it right!!!

matt250r21
05-07-2006, 09:03 PM
The pivot bolt goes thru the motor so that you will have the correct chain torque and suspension alinement. This is also a major motor mounting point. Will help with vibration and frame strength. Every Laeger and Walsh Hybrid has the pivot bolt go thru the motor. Every other backyard bumpkin dosn't put the pivot bolt thru the motor because its to hard to fab up? Your guess is as good as mine. It is there for a reason, I would take the time and do it right.

spadedsrh4l
05-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Should i cut my swinger now to fit or buy a new one.....my dad n i already made all the measurements up for it!!!!we have the swinger marked and everything it is just waiting for me to find out my final decision......I have a chrome 88-89 style but everything on my bike is chrome so if i bought a new one it would be a must for me to get chrome....what to do...opinions....

matt250r21
05-07-2006, 09:30 PM
When I built a YZ 426 R, I used a -1 inch stock 87 250R swingarm because it was cheap and I was doing alot of testing to find the right setup. Guess what the right set up is, a CR 500 link for carb clearence and suspension action. I don't now what you should do with your 89 style swingarm. I don't think I would cut up a nice swingarm unless I worked it all out first with a junk one.

spadedsrh4l
05-07-2006, 09:35 PM
could u send me pics of ur mounts and the linkage are the carb boots and misc... things for hybrids to me @ bbeet2@yahoo.com ....also could u make sure they are upclose..thank you!!!

matt250r21
05-07-2006, 09:45 PM
I sold that bike a while ago because it had the stock linkage rear. The carb and air boot will not clear the top shock mount without some major mods which sacrifice strength, not good for MX. Also stock link dose not compare to CR 500 link. Sorry I don't have any pics, that thing was an experement when 4 strokes were a new thing, now I'm happy to stay on my R's.

hontrx265r
05-08-2006, 06:24 PM
If your dad is a welder, your best bet would be to convert your bike to a no link. give you all the clearance, it will be much easier then a cr500. I've done one with a stock link and its very difficult. The pivot should go through the motor, and I would just machine the swingarm out.

koh0001
05-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Take your time and do it the right way. It will be worth it.