PDA

View Full Version : what exactly is it?

YFZ450Ridr
05-07-2006, 08:18 AM
ive been doing searches for about 10 mins and i havent found out what exactly the cam mod is and what it does for yfzs. a 450 might be in the near future for me and i would like a little info on this. sounds like a pretty beneficial mod for free. would it be good for a woods racer?

Bill Fuller
05-07-2006, 08:51 AM
It changes the power curve to match the YZF 450.I race woods and have not done it.I have been told it helps the motor to rev better but looses bottem end power.I would not do it my self,the bike runs great in the woods.I would reccommend adding a heavier fly wheel to help with the stalling.There is alot more info on the cam mod at YFZ central.

02bwraptor
05-09-2006, 07:32 AM
Dirt wheels a step by step instructions and pictures ( I like pictures) in the january 2006 mag. page 224 and 226. They say it makes the timing like the yz450f dirt bike and gives it quicker throttle response and a slightly stronger, more powerful hit on the bottom end. That was quoted from that magazine.

ghost450
05-10-2006, 01:05 PM
I did it on mine and I love it! I have a lot more bottom end!

YFZ450Ridr
05-10-2006, 03:18 PM
whats all involved in doing it, what are you actually 'modding'. i decided im going to get a yfz in a few months and itll be the first thing i do along with a new intake setup.

jshtex
05-10-2006, 05:00 PM
I did the cam mod on ours over a year ago and my son races XC. Our bike is basically stock with just that, a slip on, and no air box lid, and in an XC race we have never lost because of power.

Basically you are just rotating the exhaust cam one tooth on the timing chain. It is fairly simple, and if you don't like the results you can put it back. Best of all it is free!

There are lots of step by step instructions on the net, you can find them on any big yfz site.

YFZ450Ridr
05-10-2006, 05:37 PM
i went over to yfz central and read a bunch of tutorials and saw some videos and it seems like a great mod. cant wait to get my 450. thanks guys.