PDA

View Full Version : 250r airbox boot???

stever250r
05-07-2006, 06:24 AM
Can someone tell me the difference between the 86 airbox boot, and the 87-89 airbox boot???

Servicehonda shows two different part numbers. My boot does not want to line up wiith my carb and Im wondering if I have the wrong one.

Anyone know the difference.... please chime in

250R-Dee
05-07-2006, 09:48 AM
I am having issues with my setup too.

Arens frame - 39mm Air Stryker - CR250 reed cage - '86 airbox boot

Hopefully the LT500 airbox boot I just won on EBay will solve my problems. I read your other thread too so I'll try to snap some pics of my problem tomorrow.

beerock
05-07-2006, 10:04 AM
there no difference in design at all excpet for the boost bottle on the 88-89 R boot. I use the 86 stly because i would rathe rnot have something happen and the boost bottle comes off and raw unfilered air goes into my motor, screw that

the lt500 boot is for the cr500 link frame.

what are your problems maybe i can help

all i know is if you heat the boot up inside your house i usually install my carb (39pwk) inside and then reheat the boot and connect it to the airbox, then i push the carb though the shock area and line it up with the reed boot and install onto it. I AM USING A CARB SPACER with a cr250 rad valve. i ran the spacer on my 265 as well it adds volume to the motor and any bit i can get will help.

if you cant install like i did then install the carb with the boot attached onto the reed boot then reheat the boot with a hair dryer and stretch the boot by pulling it so it will seat on the air box

you want to do all this as fast as possible cuz the boot doesnt stretch for to long

TheFontMaster
05-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by beerock
there no difference in design at all excpet for the boost bottle on the 88-89 R boot. I use the 86 stly because i would rathe rnot have something happen and the boost bottle comes off and raw unfilered air goes into my motor, screw that

Whats the point of the boost bottle, I've always wondered, but never asked.

beerock
05-07-2006, 12:01 PM
it suppose to help with bottom end so theres more air in the intake so it can rev up faster

its a hazard to me, but my other R does have a 88 boot

deathman53
05-07-2006, 01:28 PM
a 87-89 boot has the boost bottle and the boost bottle is to reduce air flow noise, its not to increase performance. what I usually do to fit bigger carbs on stock boots in you heat up the boot and then push in a corona bear bottle, its the same size as a 38/39mm carb. you let the boot cool down and the carb goes on with no problems.

stever250r
05-07-2006, 01:58 PM
I dont have any problems with the larger carb fitting on the airbox boot. My carb actually had the adapter ring from ESR... I had to remove it.

The problem Im having is the angle from the airbox boot to the intake of the carb. If I use the adapter ring it makes it seem like the boot is too long.... it either pushes my airbox off of the front mount tabs... or it causes me to have to flex the airbox boot so much to fit on the carb it almost completely shuts off the airflow.

I removed the adapter ring from the carb.. and this helped some.. but I still have to flex or (fold) the boot inward to line up with the carb that it puts a crease in the boot and reduces the amount of airflow volume that can get to the carb.

Does this make sense.

I dont see any way around it..

beerock
05-07-2006, 02:16 PM
are you running a reed spacer? if so maybe you need a thinner one to straighten out the bend

stever250r
05-07-2006, 02:35 PM
No reed spacer beerock, unless the RAD valve has one built into there cage. I didnt think to compare the thickness with my stock one..

I am using a CFM aluminum airbox.. I thought maybe that the angle on the airbox where the boot mounts might be slightly different from stock.

I have managed to get most of the crease out.. but it still seems really narrow (pinched down) where the boot is recessed for the rear shock and the frame.

You mentioned a venturi effect. Do you think this will allow the box to draw more air like a vacuum effect or do you think it will restrict airflow? I will not be using a lid on my airbox.

matt250r21
05-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Hey Beerock I've got 2 CR 500 link R's and I run a stock 86 airboots with 89 airboxes. I've never needed an LT 500 airboot on my R's. I think the LT boot is for a no-link. I also don't trust the boost bottle, one more thing to fall off and trash the motor.

beerock
05-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by matt250r21
Hey Beerock I've got 2 CR 500 link R's and I run a stock 86 airboots with 89 airboxes. I've never needed an LT 500 airboot on my R's. I think the LT boot is for a no-link. I also don't trust the boost bottle, one more thing to fall off and trash the motor.

i stand corrected, i just knew doc was buying one for one of the r's he was building, i forget if it had a cr 500 link or no link but i just remembered it was a roll design no link on a lrd frame, he sold it though cause nothing fit right

i still think the bottle gives more responsiveness on low end though