PDA

View Full Version : PVL ignition

henryhenry
05-06-2006, 09:40 PM
what does the cdi box look like on the pvl ignition system???? i have a pvl system that i bought ,but im not sure if it has all the componets, what all does it consist of???

beerock
05-07-2006, 10:38 AM
the coil, the piece that bolts to the case which generates the voltage and the aluminum flywheel thats it

henryhenry
05-07-2006, 07:23 PM
i have the coil, the flywheel, the piece the flywheel sits in, and a a round looking bracket, is that all??? no cdi box??? thanks guys

beerock
05-07-2006, 08:02 PM
dude i have a feeling you have no idea about this ignition am i right?

how are you going to set the timing on it?

henryhenry
05-08-2006, 09:48 AM
youre right , i dont know,,, im not going to set the timing, i have a mechanic, that will do that,,, i was just wondering if i had all the necessary parts,,, does it not come with a cdi box?

beerock
05-08-2006, 09:57 AM
yes you have all the parts, but the timing is tricky and has to be set with a dial bore gauge

YOU NEED TO CALL PVL and talk to a tech so when you tell your mechanic how to set the timing(if he can do it) that he can.

the flywheel you have to align with the timing etches for the way the motor spins which i believe is counter clockwise on the flywheel side.

you have to set the motor to TDC and spin it backwards(clockwise) until the timing should be from 2.0-1.8 BTDC that is if its an analog pvl, if its a digital i believe it needs to be set at .08mm BTDC

i might have the rotation backwards but the principle is the same, to check which way the mtoor spins just use the kick starter to make sure

WareRacing
05-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by henryhenry
youre right , i dont know,,, im not going to set the timing, i have a mechanic, that will do that,,, i was just wondering if i had all the necessary parts,,, does it not come with a cdi box?

seems no one can answe you,,,

there is no "cdi" with a pvl. everything is right in the "stator" parts.

you should have... the lil flywheel, the stator plate, the "stator" and a coil.. the wire that comes from the "stator" goes right to the coil.

SuperChris
05-09-2006, 12:02 PM
slam the rotor on the crank with the timing marks lined up when piston is 50 thou. before TDC.

zedicus00
05-09-2006, 03:00 PM
so are these PVL ignitions a pain to set up? are they worth the money? im considering picking one up for my project quad...

SuperChris
05-09-2006, 05:22 PM
They are easy if you have a way to measure how close to TDC you are. It does not use a flywheel, but uses a rotor. It is drastically lighter and will make your motor rev very fast, but not be as easy for a new rider to take off in.

zedicus00
05-09-2006, 06:10 PM
sweet sounds perfect.. do u need like a degree wheel or just a micrometer or wht to mesure with??

beerock
05-10-2006, 12:22 AM
dial bore gauge

SuperChris
05-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Nodegree wheel necessarry. Like Beerock sayed a dial bore guage will work. So will a dial indicator if setup right.