PDA

View Full Version : help me wheelie

ride red 14
05-06-2006, 07:43 PM
i can wheelie pretty good with my 400ex whith my foot in the grab bar but i want to ride them sitting down and cant figure out how to shift while i ride with the front end off the ground. and what gear do i start in???

DE400EX
05-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Practice makes perfect.

I can hit it either 1st or 2nd gear. All depends on what you get more comfortable with.

You just got to find that balance spot and try to stay there...
Feather the throttle ...Just make sure when you shift your not hard on the gas or your gonna be on your back...And if you do start to go back.. Hang on dont let go and youll be fine.

400EXtreme
05-06-2006, 11:01 PM
start in first gear. I put 2 fingers on the clutch and just when im ready i switched into 2nd. You have to fall back once nd touch the grab bar it amkes it so much easier to wheelie becuz u lose ur fear of doin it.

csimp3
05-07-2006, 02:32 AM
if your gonna keep it balanced your gonna need the rear brake, if you can sit way back, bring it up and catch it with the rear brake, then you can just ease on the gas, and feather it a little, and just keep using the rear brake to keep it from going over

RangerRick
05-07-2006, 02:53 PM
I could pull mine up in 2nd and sometimes shift through 4th then I would run out of room.I havent had back brakes workin since like the first week or two I had my ex just the main thing to remember is that it has to be high up in the front when you shift or else the front end will drop like a rock.

400exowner
05-08-2006, 08:10 PM
I got a 2002 406 ex and i can be going in 3rd and pop the clutch and wheelie like there is no tomorrow lol. They are the best wheelie machine. I usually get it up either in 1st or 2nd by hittin the gas hard or poppin it in 3rd and i gently push the throttle farther and farther till i gotta shift then shift then the same thing till u hit fifth gear and u can find the balanc point and keep the gas steady by sittin as far back as poss. and u can out wheelie anyone that way. Hope it helps

rooster_20
05-09-2006, 06:09 AM
I have a mostly stock 400ex and I can wheelie from 3rd all day. Its kind of hard to keep it up in 5th though.

pitchblack400
05-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Poping the clutch brings one up hard, i just get going in 4th and jerk it and gas it up, its a way better way to balance one out, you can almost hold the gas in one spot and just slide back on the seat and it will perfectly balance, its possible in 5th too, you'll probably need to be a bigger boy to jerk it up in 5th, or drop a tooth on the front cog first, but we ride wheelies on the straight stretches on the blacktop around here for a almost an entire mile at a time. just if you start to go over off the path one way or another get over on the fender and it will merge back the other way and get it centered back up. Once i figure out how to put vids on the net i will definetely put some up, ive been messin with it for a while, sadly lol i can ride better than i can mess with technology.

mustang25
05-26-2006, 02:39 PM
i usually start out in first, then pull up hard while giving it more gas...once you find that sweet balancing spot, you can ride it forever.....shifting is pretty easy just keep your left foot under the shiffter throughout the wheelie....and shift when necessary

miller821
05-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by 400EXtreme
You have to fall back once nd touch the grab bar it amkes it so much easier to wheelie becuz u lose ur fear of doin it.
Exactly.. Thats what I tell everyone who is a beginner, cause I've hit it so many times I don't even worry about it anymore.

jsmith2232
05-31-2006, 09:24 AM
with the 416 listed in my sig i can pull anywhere from 1st-5th and ride em' it just takes alot of practice and a nice grassy area for you to drag yer grab bar in so that it doesn't get all scraped up.

heres a vid i put together last summer.
http://www.atvriders.com/videos/videos/newdanandjohn10mb.wmv

Halter
05-31-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by mustang25
i usually start out in first, then pull up hard while giving it more gas...once you find that sweet balancing spot, you can ride it forever.....shifting is pretty easy just keep your left foot under the shiffter throughout the wheelie....and shift when necessary
I dont like to start in first cause it hits rev limiter so fast....2nd is definatly the best to start out in...just give her hell and she be back in no time...

and when u have someone on back with yeah..wheelies are like twice as easy..tis weird

eaheer
06-06-2006, 02:00 PM
I suggest get the front end up high enough so that you can do a shift without the front tires touching the ground. Have to be quick sometimes. I know the pictures don't do much justice, try the websites like mines.
http://eaheer.livedigital.com http://m-h-m.livedigital.com http://www.milehighmadness.net

jd450
06-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by jsmith2232
with the 416 listed in my sig i can pull anywhere from 1st-5th and ride em' it just takes alot of practice and a nice grassy area for you to drag yer grab bar in so that it doesn't get all scraped up.

heres a vid i put together last summer.
http://www.atvriders.com/videos/videos/newdanandjohn10mb.wmv

i'd say pavement is a better place to learn balance point....a little less forgiving, but you'll DEFINATLY feel the balance point alot better. but a grassy area will be better for learning break control. because a grassy area will obviously not be AS smooth and flat as the pavement. you'll have to learn how to work the rear brake to keep the quad up where you want it.

ride red 14
06-06-2006, 06:12 PM
thanks alot guys you all really helped i can ride through 3rd sometimes but im going to keep practicing

eaheer
06-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Practice makes perfect my friend!

waycott_259
06-08-2006, 07:39 PM
i cant bring my bike up..i only weigh 115 and pull and pin it and it wont come up very far..also has a twist throttle does this make it harder?

ride red 14
06-16-2006, 06:24 PM
now i can keep it up for as long as i want to

ride red 14
06-18-2006, 09:31 AM
heres me

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g213/ridered14/100_0506.jpg

jd450
06-18-2006, 10:04 AM
great pic/wheelie bro. if you want to keep it up as long as YOU want to, put you're left foot in the grab bar and you're right foot hovering over the rear brake. you can control the wheelie so much better. i've gotten to where i can ride mine around turns. not 90degree one's or anything, but i take my quad to the end of the driveway, clutch it up and go through my road as far as i can holding most of the turns. its fun as hell.

keep it up man

ride red 14
06-18-2006, 01:09 PM
thanks but if i keep my foot on the break when i ride my wheelie i run out of gear or just stall it out b/c i use to much rear break

jd450
06-18-2006, 03:24 PM
if you're running out of a gear its b/c you're not hitting balance point. you WANT to hit b/p. you gotta get the front of the quad higher.

and about shifting, i just get mine in 3rd (thats the highest i can clutch it) and clutch it up w/ my foot in the bar and i can either do a slow wheelie or a fast one. plus its funner i.m.o. to do slower stuff. anyone can do a 5th gear wheelie but it gets alot funner and more addicting to do slower more controlled stuff. but whatever floats you're boat. the pic above looks great either way man. hope to see some more!

jd450
06-18-2006, 03:43 PM
idk, maybe you're going for faster wheelies but here's a vid of me in 2nd gear covering the rear brake. as you can hear the quad isnt reved high in the gear. its actually pretty quiet. i just work the rear brake here and there to keep the quad where i want it. like i said, you sound like you're going for just a faster wheelie, but if you are having some trouble w/ the gear running out, try getting a bit higher and using more brake that way bro. looking forward to more stunt pics.

here's my vid. 2nd gear brake control

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU_Aj-tdg6Q

ride red 14
06-19-2006, 07:09 AM
thanks got the seat cover for christmas but if i get the front end any higher it just stands all the way up and i have to step off the back and push it back over

JLanphear
06-19-2006, 07:51 AM
jd450 is right, left foot in grab bar, right foot on brake.

that IS the right way. you should have no reason to shift other than to go faster, if you are running out of gear you need to keep the quad in the balance point.

if you want to shift then do wheelies with both feet on the pegs.

thanks got the seat cover for christmas but if i get the front end any higher it just stands all the way up and i have to step off the back and push it back over

exactly why you need to have the foot on the brake my friend. i know it feels weird at first, but you'll get used to it before you know it.

stupidhurts400
06-19-2006, 11:51 AM
right foot on the brake and left is the way to go

ride red 14
06-25-2006, 07:26 PM
i know this sounds stupid but where is the balancing point

400eXr1d3rZ
06-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Youll know when you've found the balance point aka "sweet spot" I say if you going really slow, the balance spot is about an 80 degree angle. The faster your goiing the lower the sweet spot is.

jd450
06-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
Youll know when you've found the balance point aka "sweet spot" I say if you going really slow, the balance spot is about an 80 degree angle. The faster your goiing the lower the sweet spot is.

exactly! basically the quad should hold the same ''NOTE''. if you hear the motor picking up and getting louder, than you need to get the front wheels higher. or if you feel the quad coming back too far, just TAP you're rear brake. you''ll I.M.O. feel the b/p best if you do foot in bar. its comfortable and easy to bail if anything goes wrong. keep practicing and keep posting pics/vids bro

ohsobad_chevy
06-28-2006, 08:56 AM
1. start quad
2. pull in clutch
3. put it in first
4. rev the piss out of it
5. completely let loose of clutch lever. :p :p

Sorry, couldnt help it, but seriously thats how I learned. :D Don't be affraid to fall off the back, you have to break that fear.

yamaha91
06-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by waycott_259
i cant bring my bike up..i only weigh 115 and pull and pin it and it wont come up very far..also has a twist throttle does this make it harder?

i am really light too, you are gunna have to pop the clutch, thats what i do.

rooster_20
08-17-2006, 12:07 PM
I just had to say love the seat cover! and yea i agree if you put your left foot on the grab bar then you cant shift and you can only do pansy slow wheelies

toke1at420
08-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by rooster_20
if you put your left foot on the grab bar then you cant shift and you can only do pansy slow wheelies

:rolleyes: bull ****.... just go faster before u pull the wheelie up. on my 400 i dont even have to clutch it if i get it in the powerband in 3rd or 4th and romp on it with a little pull it'll come right up.

as for the weight thing im only about 130 lbs and i have no trouble getting it up. if your having trouble just punchin it in the powerband just get goin, pull the clutch and rev, release the clutch and pull (dont forget to hold on ;))

jd450
08-17-2006, 05:52 PM
I just had to say love the seat cover! and yea i agree if you put your left foot on the grab bar then you cant shift and you can only do pansy slow wheelies

i happen to like those pansy wheelies! ANYONE can do a 3rd gear + wheelie, its simple!!!!! the higher you are (gear) and the faster you are going........the smoother the throttle response is, i can hold a 5th gear spreader and you will NEVER hear the quad change ''tone''!!!!!!!!!!! fast wheelies are panys wheelies. i prefer the slow, 1st gear wheelies, foot in bars. i can stall mine in one spot, sit there for quite a few seconds w/o the quad even moving one bit. THOSE take some skill, balance, and control. fast wheelies I.M.O. are way too easy. but again......just my opinion

08-17-2006, 07:42 PM
yea i just got my seat cover too :D

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/1672/dscf0003ar2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

rooster_20
08-17-2006, 10:30 PM
EDIT QJ

jd450
08-18-2006, 05:40 AM
its pretty hard for me to do those slow pansy wheelies cause your mom weighs me down muhahah

EDITQJ~~

NO FLAMING!~

toke1at420
08-18-2006, 08:05 AM
dont even stress him jd..... flaming gets people banned

QuadJunkies
08-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by jd450
first off, ''homo_20'', you probably cant do those ''slow pansy wheelies'' because you lack SKILL. and what a great response.......did you type that while on recess, little ''chicken"? now im going to be the adult that i am and get back to work. if your teacher decides to let you out on a potty break, or to recess you be sure to come back at me w/ a GREAT elementary school ''yo momma'' joke, ok?! have a great one queer!
You call that being the adult way?

1st STRIKE... NEXT ONE YOUR GONE...

QuadJunkies
08-18-2006, 10:29 AM
its pretty hard for me to do those slow pansy wheelies cause your mom weighs me down muhahah

SAME GOES FOR YOU!

rooster_20
08-20-2006, 08:46 AM
mine was more of a joke notice the muhaha, but sorry bout that no hard feelings peace!

rooster_20
08-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Just wanted to let Jd450 know im 18 not a little kid, and everyone has their different opinions on wheelies and how to do them. Personally I dont put either of my feet on the back and furthermore your quad is a yfz 450 a lot more power than my 400 that is prob why it is easier for you to do those long 5th gear wheelies. Thanks for being the adult and giving your valuable info.

jd450
08-20-2006, 10:11 AM
:D anytime!