PDA

View Full Version : WALSH setup question???

BORY
05-06-2006, 05:03 PM
i put my walsh +3 on my 400ex this morning and it seems weird bc the spindles hit the lower a arm when they droop down a little bit is this normal?? what kind of set ups do u guys with walsh or any with 4 heim joints have? im running top is all the way in and the lower is 3 full turns out.

416exmx
05-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Are you shocks set-up for Walsh a-arms? If not they are probably too long making this happen.

BORY
05-06-2006, 05:48 PM
heres a pic from what i know walsh arms use 18 3/4

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/greenhonda06/DSC02776.jpg

416exmx
05-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Yeah you have the older flattie a-arms. Is this hitting with the shocks on or off? If the shocks are off and it's hitting, then with the shocks on you should be ok (providing the shocks are 18.75" fully extended). I also assume these a-arms are for a 400ex and not a cannondale or something.

BORY
05-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by 416exmx
Yeah you have the older flattie a-arms. Is this hitting with the shocks on or off? If the shocks are off and it's hitting, then with the shocks on you should be ok (providing the shocks are 18.75" fully extended). I also assume these a-arms are for a 400ex and not a cannondale or something. as it sits now, the rags r there so they dont hit its liek a 1/4 of an inch and the bottom of the spindle will hit the lower arm. so whats the problem?

400exrider707
05-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by BORY
as it sits now, the rags r there so they dont hit its liek a 1/4 of an inch and the bottom of the spindle will hit the lower arm. so whats the problem?

The more you adjust the bottom in, it will correct the problem. Although you may have bigger problems then just simple heim adjustments. :confused:

BORY
05-07-2006, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
The more you adjust the bottom in, it will correct the problem. Although you may have bigger problems then just simple heim adjustments. :confused: more problems as in....

MD450r
05-08-2006, 10:22 AM
I have the older walsh a arms for the 450r with all hiems at the frame mounts and mine would do the same thing but only if the shocks are off allowing the suspension to droop too far down.

Here is the best way that I can think to tell you to check if the a arms are ok or not, although in the end you realy need to have the shocks and wheels there to get it right.

You need to adjust the upper a arm hiems. Thread them out to get the spindle further away from the lower a arm. This will give you less negative camber. Then see if you can install the shock or just measure the distance between the shock bolt holes to make sure it is long enough to fit the shock.

When you get the shock mounted up I would recomend making sure that the lower a arms are adjusted to give the quad the same wheel base on both sides and that they give you the same width on both sides. The reason I tell you this is because with my a arms by just having the hiems threaded out the same amount of threads left me with very unequal wheel base and width.

Once you have the lower a arms set you can set the ride height then the caster and camber.

I hope this helped some.

Aaron

TBD
05-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Hiems on lower arms, what a joke. One thing that I noticed from your picture (even though the angle isn't very good) is that appears that you have a lot of negative camber. There is something you should be concerned about when adjusting your lowers is that the shock mount on the lower a-arm should be lined up with the mount on the frame. If the two are not inline you will get premature wear on the inside of your shock body as well as on the piston. I suggest, just as MD450R suggested, that you get the shocks and tires on the ground so that you can set your camber correctlly and then figure it out from there.

BORY
05-08-2006, 04:27 PM
i know for a fact that i need 18 3/4 shocks which i have but my length on the frame shock mount to a arms mount is 16 1/4 WTF!!!!

motochamp250
05-08-2006, 05:44 PM
i have the flatty walsh's and they use standard travel shocks......not all walsh's are LT

BORY
05-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by motochamp250
i have the flatty walsh's and they use standard travel shocks......not all walsh's are LT toss up a pic? do they look similar to mine?

450RGNCC
05-08-2006, 06:31 PM
I hate to say it... but from where the mount is on that lower a-arm it doesnt look like a 18 3/4" shock would fit in there. Did you buy the arms and shocks together or separately?

BORY
05-08-2006, 06:46 PM
seperate but they guy had lt for the a arms

BORY
05-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by MD450r
I have the older walsh a arms for the 450r with all hiems at the frame mounts and mine would do the same thing but only if the shocks are off allowing the suspension to droop too far down.

Here is the best way that I can think to tell you to check if the a arms are ok or not, although in the end you realy need to have the shocks and wheels there to get it right.

You need to adjust the upper a arm hiems. Thread them out to get the spindle further away from the lower a arm. This will give you less negative camber. Then see if you can install the shock or just measure the distance between the shock bolt holes to make sure it is long enough to fit the shock.

When you get the shock mounted up I would recomend making sure that the lower a arms are adjusted to give the quad the same wheel base on both sides and that they give you the same width on both sides. The reason I tell you this is because with my a arms by just having the hiems threaded out the same amount of threads left me with very unequal wheel base and width.

Once you have the lower a arms set you can set the ride height then the caster and camber.

I hope this helped some.

Aaron do urs look similar to mine?? are they std or lt travel??
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/greenhonda06/DSC02764.jpg
top view

hontrx265r
05-09-2006, 09:44 AM
If your frame is a standard style frame those a arms, are standard travel. By this I mean the "flattie" arm which is what you have are standard travel on your frame. However if you had a walsh frame, which has a much higher shock mount that is also adj. They would be long travel. The guy who sold them probably had a walsh frame. Walsh did this so they could raise ground clearance on there custom frames while still using a lt setup. hope this helps you out. In this pic, of this walsh frame you can see how high the mount is on the frame compared to yours. This frame with your style arm would be a lt setup. But for you, you would need there gull type arms. Which I don't think they make anymore for your bike.

hontrx265r
05-09-2006, 09:50 AM
If your frame is a standard style frame those a arms, are standard travel. By this I mean the "flattie" arm which is what you have are standard travel on your frame. However if you had a walsh frame, which has a much higher shock mount that is also adj. They would be long travel. The guy who sold them probably had a walsh frame. Walsh did this so they could raise ground clearance on there custom frames while still using a lt setup. hope this helps you out. In this pic, of this walsh frame you can see how high the mount is on the frame compared to yours. This frame with your style arm would be a lt setup. But for you, you would need there gull type arms. Which I don't think they make anymore for your bike.

416exmx
05-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by hontrx265r

Exactly! However wouldnt these a-arms be 250r style? I thought ALL his frames were 250r geometrey.

motochamp250
05-09-2006, 03:27 PM
urs look just like mine and mine are standard travel but like stated above on a walsh frame they would be LT...best pic i have ...sorry..

BORY
05-09-2006, 03:31 PM
what do u have for clearance and u liek that there not lt that they are std. u notice a big diff

motochamp250
05-09-2006, 03:31 PM

motochamp250
05-09-2006, 03:32 PM

BORY
05-09-2006, 04:52 PM
lol god dam lol i guess ppl make mistakes lol. thats for all the help guys

TBD
05-10-2006, 08:24 AM
Those arms are standard travel no matter what frame they are on. LT refers to more shock shaft travel. The reason LT works is that with more shaft travel you move the mount out further on the arm lowering the leverage ratio and increasing the shaft speed making the shock more tuneable. By raising the mount on the frame the only thing you achieve is a longer shock with the same shock shaft travel so it is not a LT front end just by having it on a different chassis.

hontrx265r
05-10-2006, 12:03 PM
TBD, I don't want to argue because I honestly do not know the details I just know, that those flattie arms on a walsh chassis use the longer shock he is refering to and, on a stock frame they use the shorter shock 16?? and some inches rather then 18+inches.

TBD
05-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by hontrx265r
TBD, I don't want to argue because I honestly do not know the details I just know, that those flattie arms on a walsh chassis use the longer shock he is refering to and, on a stock frame they use the shorter shock 16?? and some inches rather then 18+inches.
I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I was going to argue with you. The way you just stated the difference between the two is correct. With his frame it takes a longer shock. That doesn't make it a "LT" frontend is all I was saying. I do happen to have a lot of knowledge with suspension and I'm not here to argue or look like a know it all but to give out the correct info so if you took it the wrong way I applogize.

motochamp250
05-10-2006, 02:39 PM
those a-arms are the same as the long travel they are just the flatty style that use ST shocks...they use LT shocks on the walsh frame...

maxamillion
05-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Hey BORY, your PM is full. My housers have been sold already.

Ex_Rider43
05-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Lower a-arms with heims is a true joke I know.

I have Walsh a-arms on my 450r , the 1st generation and they are a pain to install right.

TBD
05-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by motochamp250
those a-arms are the same as the long travel they are just the flatty style that use ST shocks...they use LT shocks on the walsh frame...
I will argue this if needed but bottom line is that those arms used with a Walsh frame do not make them "LT" arms. Like I said before a true "LT" front end has the mount further out requiring more shock shaft travel meaning that the shaft speeds are faster and give the shock more control. Those arms with longer shocks will have the same amount of shaft travel and if they were to increase the shaft travel it would only allow the front end to drop out further or bottom further and not increase the shaft speed meaning they would be the same as the standard arms.