PDA

View Full Version : OK...now I did it. Broke my clutch basket.

Glamis400ex
05-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Well, in my attempt to install a HD cam chain, I broke a fin off the clutch basket and I still didn't get the nut loose. So, I really gotta get that off now or I'm screwed.

How do you hold the inner part from spinning while you try to back to nut off? I tried a way and it didn't work, now I need a new basket. I was thinking maybe a strap wrench?

Any help here?

Glamis

GPracer2500
05-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Pneumatic impact gun is the easiest method. It'll knock that nut right off without having to hold a thing.

Glamis400ex
05-06-2006, 02:16 PM
I have access to an electric impact wrench....does the same thing? How about putting the nut back on to 80 ft'lbs. torque?

How do I hold the primary gear also? I heard of people putting a penny or nickel in between the gears.....whacha think?

Glamis

GPracer2500
05-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Electric impact should work too. As far as reinstalling to the specified torque--that's a little tricky to do using impact tools. I'm usually a stickler for using the proper torque specs but I have to admit I have guessed before when using impact tools.

One method is to adjust the impact gun's air volume knob to limit it's tightening ability to the torque you want. On many guns this is the kurled knob you press in or out to reverse the guns turning direction. Turn the knob to adjust the air flow. If your gun doesn't have this adjustment you can limit the air pressure at the compressor (this route obviously won't work with electric). I'm guessing most electric impact guns have some method of adjusting their turning power.

You should be able to use a truck's lug nut to calibrate the impact gun. Use a torque wrench to tighten to the torque you want and then adjust the gun so it will only tighten to that point but no more.

Glamis400ex
05-06-2006, 04:59 PM
OK....got it off. Man what a pain in the ***. I'm bummed I broke a fin off too. I'm hoping to score a good used one here pretty quick.

All this JUST to put on the HD chain.....I shoulda just left it alone.

Glamis

boricua
05-06-2006, 05:01 PM
so is that the only way then, with an impact wrench? theres got to be a way to hold it from spinning while you torque it......

Glamis400ex
05-06-2006, 05:16 PM
Actually, I've been thinking about this...see if you can follow:

Take the socket and put it on the nut. Now, take the pressure plate and use the 5 screws and screw them in to go over the socket and snug them down. The threads should go in like 1/2". Put the 1/2" extension into the socket THRU the center hole of the pressure plate. Put extension end into impact driver. Have a strong person hold it while you torque. All you need to do is keep it from spinning.

Might work.

Glamis

GPracer2500
05-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by boricua
so is that the only way then, with an impact wrench? theres got to be a way to hold it from spinning while you torque it......

There are a tools specifically for holding the clutch basket when removing the nut. This is the most common style I see:

http://www.wakularacing.com/Product%20Photo/clutch%20holder.jpg

GPracer2500
05-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Another method is to take an old clutch friction plate and weld rods onto the ends of a couple of the tabs that fit into the slots in the basket. That gives you something to hold it still.

Here's a pic of a commercially made unit of of the same idea:
[nevermind--link to pic didn't work]

I prefer to just use impact tools since there is no chance of harming the basket that way--especially for removal. For installation a holder tool is probably the simplest way.

abuckley1290
05-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
Well, in my attempt to install a HD cam chain, I broke a fin off the clutch basket and I still didn't get the nut loose. So, I really gotta get that off now or I'm screwed.

How do you hold the inner part from spinning while you try to back to nut off? I tried a way and it didn't work, now I need a new basket. I was thinking maybe a strap wrench?

Any help here?

Glamis

I did the same exact thing! I ended up using an air impact to get the nut on and off... I just tightened it untill the nut was flush with the threads..good luck

Glamis400ex
05-08-2006, 05:31 PM
I think that's what I'll end up doing. I did notice the nut being perfectly fluch with the end of the nut.