PDA

View Full Version : Army Reserves.

ZeroLogic
05-06-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm thinking about joining the Reserves in ten months. Whos in them? How do you like them? Are they worth it? Anything would help. I want to join the Army after I get out of highschool or go to four years of college then into the Army. Anything would be great. Thanks

Scott-300ex
05-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Go for it, around here I've looked into it, I think its 9 weeks of basic, but you get to stay more around home when you are done with that. Its like bein in the Army but easier I think.

You should get 4 years of college payed for by them. I'm not to sure about wut the reserve is different, I think its more laid back and you get to stay at home for the most part unless they need you.

Good luck.

ZeroLogic
05-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Thanks, I plan on going to college for four years. Then join the Army.

Anyone else have experience with them?

derekhonda
05-06-2006, 05:58 PM
I don't know much about the army, so I may be completely wrong...but it sounds like you have it backwards. If you go to college for 4 years, and then want to join the army....what a waste of 60 grand. Join the army first, do your basic, and let them pay for your schooling.

ZeroLogic
05-06-2006, 06:50 PM
If I'm not mistaking, the Reserves pay for four years of college. With no college degree you limit your rank a lot. But with a four year college degree you have the ability to reach captin.

ak_stick
05-06-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm National Guard, wich is almost the same thing as the reserves, except that the reserves have no combat arms jobs, just the support units, and Guard has combat arms, infantry, mp, arty, ect. PM me if you want any specific info.

Right now, you stand a higher chance of being deployed if you join the Reserves, or NG. So you'd better think about that before you go ahead and sign your name.

If you do, you'll have to work a minimum of 1wk a month, and a 2wk AT session sometime in the year. I dont know about the reserves, but the Guard pays me to go to school, I get full tuition reimbursment, and they pay for books.

You also have the option of getting a AGR job if they're open, and you apply, thats an Active Guard Reserve job, your basicly a federal technition, this is what I do at home, I do the same job I do when I'm deployed, but I get paid better because I'm under the Feds instead of the army.

With a 4 yr degree, you can go alot higher than captin, but after major, it becomes so political, that alot of people dont have the taste for it

ZeroLogic
05-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Thanks for more of the infomation. I appreciate it. I was speaking to a Staff Sergent at my highschool for a carrear day. He said that the summer before my senior year I would have to attend nine weeks of boot camp. Then finish off my senior year. After that I would go back to once a weekend every month and two weeks during the summer. If I'm deployed would I be able to still attend a college? The Staff Sergent was in Greece I believe and he was taking classes in a classroom. The college sent over instructors to Greece to teach the classes.

ak_stick
05-06-2006, 11:01 PM
well first of all, I'd highly suggest you dont do split option, basic, then your senior year, wait till your done with school. Lots of Juniors fail out of basic, and then you've got to wait 2yrs to try again, and after a year at school they forget how to be solders and get busted HARD in AIT.

IF you get deployed, you'll be going to Iraq or A-stan, and I dont know about taking classes there, I guess it depends on your job. I work too damn hard (minimum 12 hr shift) to take classes. What he was talking about was being stationed there, and having college classes at his base, and yes that happens.

Remember, its his job to get you to sign, and he'll lie till he's blue in the face to do it. 90% of recruiters, are not going to give you the best deal you can get, unless you force him to. Push for a signing bonus (I got 7K, and its like 15 to re up right now) And try to get any schools you might want in your contract (Airborne, Air Assualt, Ranger, ect)

infantry317
05-07-2006, 08:12 AM
I personally think you guys that go in the reserves/guard without prior active service are nuts :D . Why subject yourself to 3+ months of torture (basic/ait) just to get a small amount of money in pay and college tuition. You have a very high chance of getting deployed now like was previously stated.

The Army does enlistments as short as two years. The Army has the top college fund but you have to be combat arms. I got out in '93 (3yr enlistment) and had $28,800 for 4yrs of college. It's more now. Talk to people that have been in, not just recruiters.
Also, if you go for the signing bonus you probably won't get the Army college fund, only the g.i. bill which isn't squat.

Good luck whatever you decide.

ak_stick
05-07-2006, 03:15 PM
because we dont want to be slackers like you active types :D

Honestly, for me, the guard was a better choice, because I get to stay in alaska (atleast I thought I would), I work more than active duty, (minimum 4 days a week, plus 1wk a month, 2wks a year) I get paid better because I'm a federal tech instead of a solder during the week. Plus at the time I signed (03) the guard had a higher signing bonus than AD for my job...

Now days, however, the army is hurting for people so much, you can get the GI bill, or Army college fund, AND a signing bonus. Heck I might even get to Re-up here in Iraq for 20K tax free...

Depends, shop around and find the best deal.

Scott-300ex
05-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Don't call the soldiers crazy. LoL.

People go in for many reasons. Family, no job or life at home, people like me becuz they love weapons and artillery(I am still very surprized I haven't joined the Marines yet.)

And yeh, those recruiters will lie their @sses off to you. They told my friend if he signs he'll never have to go to Iraq..........Now he's just waiting for a call and he's off.

mickey400ex
05-11-2006, 05:56 PM
dont do it, you will regret it if you do. just go to school and get a good job in the civilian world.

ak_stick
05-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Thats rich.

miller821
05-11-2006, 06:35 PM
I'm going to the Air Force within prob. 2 years of being outta High School.. I don't want to go to college cause I hate having to sit in classes all cooped up.. I know I will have to do some in the Air Force, but i'll also do a lot of hands on stuff..

ballz2thewall
05-12-2006, 06:14 AM
I am in the Reserves, drill sucks, A.T this year will be awsome (Germany for 3 weeks). The jobs you can get are good paying!

Quad Boy 660r
05-12-2006, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by ride hard man
I'm going to the Air Force within prob. 2 years of being outta High School.. I don't want to go to college cause I hate having to sit in classes all cooped up.. I know I will have to do some in the Air Force, but i'll also do a lot of hands on stuff..

Thats my plan.