PDA

View Full Version : fuse problem

gearhead400
05-06-2006, 08:50 AM
Alright, im getting pissed. I was out on the trails the other day and i shut my bike off to take a little break and when i went to start it back up, there was nothing, no power anywhere and it wouldnt start (obviously). Checked to see if maybe one of my wires got burnt on the head and saw nothing there. Checked the fuse right by the battery and it was blown. Changed it, rode back to the trucks, shut it off, same thing happened. Happen's everytime i start it up and turn it off. I Havent taken a good look at my bike yet so i dont know what the problem could be. I'm gonna take off my plastics as soon as i get some time so i can really check everything out, but in the meantime, i figured i'd make this post to see if anyone else has had this problem or knows the fix for it.

thanks all

-kyle

gearhead400
05-06-2006, 10:20 AM
help help help pleassse!

gearhead400
05-06-2006, 01:12 PM
bump

gearhead400
05-06-2006, 09:30 PM
oooook, any other forums you could direct me to for help??

hondamanex400
05-06-2006, 10:50 PM
it sounds like you've got a short somewhere cuz your starter, key, or lights are trying to pull to much. so, id check all of your wires to start with.

04TRX400EX
05-07-2006, 01:51 AM
I know, I know !!

Well kinda. Same thing happened to me last summer. I was riding and I actually ran into the back of my dad's quad - nothing major, just couldn't stop in time. Anyways, I shut it off and when I tried to start it again, there was nothing, just like you. Unfortunately, we hadn't had the quads very long so I was unaware of the main fuse thing, so we had to tow my quad out and it went straight to the dealer. Every time I would flip my lights on, the fuse would blow. I checked all the wires and so did the dealer (twice), but nothing was found. After going thru like 5 fuses, the problem stopped and it's been fine ever since.

Yeah so I'm not totally sure why this problem seems to be common on 400EX's. I would say check all the wiring from the battery to the front (ignition, lights, etc.) and maybe take it in to the dealer if you can't find anything. Otherwise just wait a week or so and it should fix itself :D

knelson
05-07-2006, 10:50 AM
if you take your front plastics off, take the rubber boots off the back of the head lights, usually that is where I have found the short right behind the bulb (found mine after a long while) it would only short once in a while and even stopped for about 6 or so months, but these things don't fix themselves and one day after blowing a headlight bulb I found it:D

Douglasm
05-07-2006, 12:43 PM
A Honda mechanic told me to disconnect the rear brake light and that would solve the problem. It has been 3 years with out a single fuse blowing.

Bill Fuller
05-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Remove the plastic and apply Die-electric grease to all electrical connections.Don't forget the spark plug boot.

Douglasm
05-07-2006, 01:57 PM
that won't fix it.

Bill Fuller
05-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Sorry didn't realize you had already graced us with your infinate knowledge.:ermm:

gearhead400
05-07-2006, 05:30 PM
lol, thanks. Tomorrow im gonna try and get to the bottom of it before work. My rear brake light is already de-attached. could it be the stator/voltage regulator/wtfever lol.

Flyin-Low
05-07-2006, 07:07 PM
It is the lights, the wires coming from the light bulbs rub against the metal caged that holds the lightbulb and short out. Just take your front plastic off and wrap those wires in electrical tape.

-Martin

gearhead400
05-07-2006, 07:17 PM
good deal, thanks for the post. I'll do that tomorrow and post back to let you know if that indeed WAS the problem. hopefully it is because thats cheap. :D

my250ex
05-07-2006, 07:24 PM
if your lights work but it wont start, you may need to replace your solenoid. thats what happened to me. if you take a screw driver and touch both of the screws at the same time and the engine starts up, then you need to replace the solenoid starter. its only about 30 bucks.

gearhead400
05-08-2006, 11:46 AM
yup, that was the cause. Tiny tiny little piece of insulation rubbed away on each light. Crazy **** right there!

thanks again for your help everyone!!

knelson
05-09-2006, 09:52 AM
your welcome:D