PDA

View Full Version : bearing carrier.....

boricua
05-05-2006, 10:23 PM
I've read a lot about people changing the bearing carrier, why? is it something that people change when they have to replace this part or just to have aftermarket/ better parts? Or do yo have to replace the carrier when you get another axle? sounds like they get it whether they need to or not....

jeremy_283
05-05-2006, 10:41 PM
my stock just busted and reamed up the surface of my axle so i need a bearing carrier and a new axle.... grease your stocker though and you shuld be fine..... i learn from my mistakes

prepracing
05-06-2006, 05:29 AM
most all the aftermarket carriers have double row bearings which are much stronger and last longer than stock, so more of an upgrade for better parts

DAVE14
05-06-2006, 09:30 AM
once your stocker goes its cheaper & better to go aftermarket than stock Ive rebuilt the stocker twice & couldnt even get a full seaon out of it my greaseable Rad carrier has been in my bike for at least a couple of years now with no end in sight the seals are much better than stock ,much better bearings & can grease it any time I want ,I wouldnt get one till you trash your stockers but when you do try not to go too far & hurt the axle you should be able to feel play in the rear end with the wheels off the ground when they start goin thats when you should change them rather on the trail having a smokin hot swingarm squeeking bearings 30 miles away from your truck !

boricua
05-06-2006, 04:55 PM
cool thanks guys! which carrier should i stay away from? it sounds like as long as its greasable, i'm good to go......

DAVE14
05-06-2006, 05:50 PM
its hard to say which brand to stay away from twin row carriers are far superir to stock , but the Rad carrier has served me well & should last a long time there are other greasable carriers out there but beware of the grease nipple location,mine is on the side by the chain & can be acessed through the an open spot of the rear sprocket no problem ,while some carriers have it on top in the middle which you would need an aftermarket swing arm to access it with an open spot in the middle ,but the Rad is a perfect stock replacement thats service friendly with the stock swingarm

boricua
05-06-2006, 09:19 PM
where can i find that carrier and whats an average price for them?
also, does the carrier come with everything that i need to install it? big ups!!!!!!!

DAVE14
05-06-2006, 10:21 PM
I found them on the net ,I think it was ebay ? but search the company name (Rad) & it should pop up I think it was $150. more or less, much more for me in Canada with shipping exchange & then border fees ,but our beer is better so ya gotta take the good with the bad but its been great & dont expect to buy another carrier for a very long time ,they should pay me for saying this because I have reffered many people to them !

boricua
05-07-2006, 02:57 PM
what the difference on the double (bearing i guess) and tapered carriers models?

Glamis400ex
05-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Double row is just that.....a wider single bearing that will last longer. It's really not a double. You're stock bearing is say 1/2". Double row bearings are maybe 3/4" wide. Much better than stock. A tapered carrier is considered the best by many and I'm told will last the longest and take the most abuse due and will handle the pressure exerted on the sides of the bearings during hard cornering. The downside is the replacement cost of the tapered bearings. A little spendy.

Glamis

boricua
05-07-2006, 04:57 PM
thanks.
so i ride in the desert, semi aggressive at least until i get tired from keeping up with my dirtbike buddies.....i shouldnt be overly concerned with side loads from cornering, etc.? VERY little jump(quantity) if any, more like drop-offs and rocky hill climbs....lots of whoops...usually the only time im tapped out in 5th is in washes, pretty smooth. so it sounds like i should be looking for the double.
would that be a safe guess?

Glamis400ex
05-07-2006, 05:12 PM
I would go with double row. When my stocker goes....that's the route I'll be taking. Really, I think the tapered style was created for the pro's. They go really fast and have a tremendous side load placed on their axles and bearings.

I just serviced my stocker last week. I've been riding on same replacement bearings for 2 dune seasons and they are fine so I have to believe a double row set up will be just fine.

The tapered carrier is the most expensive also....not just the replacement bearings.

boricua
05-07-2006, 06:49 PM
:macho
sweet, guess ill keep an eye out for a carrier. i dont need one now, buy when i do and im out at camp, i'd want to be able to replace it.....thanks for the help.

Franky G
05-08-2006, 06:51 AM
I got a RAD carrier in my 400EX and its great 2 years now no bearing changed :D