PDA

View Full Version : She's stripped...

jjacobb
05-05-2006, 06:47 AM
My shifter shaft that is. Now the shift lever just slides around the shaft. I have tightened the pinch screw on the shifter as much as possible, but after about 5 minutes of riding (and shifting) it slips back down, almost below the nerf bars. It makes getting it in neutral (or any gear above first) one hell of a chore.

Does anyone have a quick fix they could suggest?

Is there an aftermarket shifter that grips the shaft better than the stock lever?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

adavis4
05-05-2006, 07:04 AM
either replace the whole shaft....or you can ghetto rig it by drilling a hole all the way the through the lever and and the shaft, obviously make sure it is lined up where you want it, and put a little bolt through it. it is very ghetto but will get the job done quick. this is temporary fix until you can replace the whole thing.

jjacobb
05-05-2006, 07:10 AM
Thanks, I might give that a try first.

Has anyone replaced the shift shaft before?

I am relatively new at this and I have only done minor repairs. Is this something that can be done in my garage?

4TraxRider
05-05-2006, 07:18 AM
Before you tap a hole into the shaft, try grinding where the shifter pinches together out so it can be tightened down harder. I usually have to do that to all my shifter so they pinch down hard enough.

jjacobb
05-05-2006, 07:24 AM
Another great suggestion! I am willing to try anything before having to go in and replace the shaft. Thanks!

exrider23
05-05-2006, 07:56 AM
you could place the shifter on the shaft in the place u want it and weld it...i ahd to do it before and it worked flawlessly(sp).

quad9
05-05-2006, 08:51 AM
i'am in the middle of doing that same repair. it stinks that you have to split the cases to do it. oh well it will give me a chance to fix eveything that was rigged up on this 400ex.