PDA

View Full Version : Oil pump problem?

thejeepdude
05-04-2006, 08:40 PM
I found a few threads looking for a solution to my problem, which is just the opposite as the overflowing tank problems most people are talking about here. I just rebuilt my 2002 motor with JE 416 kit and hotcams stage 2. It started great, runs awesome. I've done 3 10 minute breakin runs and let it cool between each. I checked the oil after each run, but even after 2+ qts, there's no oil showing on the dipstick. I'm supposed to go to sand mountain tomorrow, but I'm afraid I'm going to blow up my new motor if something's messed up with the oil system. It appears more common that the tank overfills instead of being too low, so I'm wondering if maybe it's just thirsty after the rebuild? Should I just top it off again, or pull the right side case and check the oil pump? The pump looked OK when I had it apart, but I didn't take it out and inspect closely. Anyone ever had this problem?

GPracer2500
05-04-2006, 09:44 PM
You can check the amount of oil in the crankcase by using the oil-check bolt. If the oil pump is operating correctly it should maintain the correct level in the crankcase. The oil level should be flush with the bottom of the bolt hole. Check it after doing the same procedure specified for checking the dipstick oil level:

Let engine idle for 5 minutes (do not rev it). If it's very cold let it idle a bit longer. Stop the engine, wait a minute or two and check the oil level(s). When using the dipstick, don't screw it in when checking the level.

Note: I think the "...more common that the tank overfills instead of being too low..." idea is because people don't follow the idling procedure before checking the oil. If you don't the dipstick will read low, misleading folks into putting in too much oil.

thejeepdude
05-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Hmmm... but my hotcams install papers said "DO NOT IDLE THE MOTOR" but keep it at ~3000rpm for the first 30 minutes. That said, I believe it takes a little goosin it to get the rings to seat well, so I snapped the throttle a few times, but have almost 30mins on it now. Perhaps you're right... I'll let it idle for a few minutes tomorrow morning and check again. Let's say the oil comes pouring out of the hole... I guess I'm stuck pulling the case and taking the pump apart. Could it possibly be the triple o-ring not seating correctly? Hopefully it's something simple... I gotta go riding this weekend!

JOEX
05-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by thejeepdude
Hmmm... but my hotcams install papers said "DO NOT IDLE THE MOTOR" but keep it at ~3000rpm for the first 30 minutes. That said, I believe it takes a little goosin it to get the rings to seat well, so I snapped the throttle a few times, but have almost 30mins on it now. Perhaps you're right... I'll let it idle for a few minutes tomorrow morning and check again. Let's say the oil comes pouring out of the hole... I guess I'm stuck pulling the case and taking the pump apart. Could it possibly be the triple o-ring not seating correctly? Hopefully it's something simple... I gotta go riding this weekend!
Idling for several minutes is required for checking the oil level.

Last summer I was breaking in the motor and doing some 'testing & tuning'. After a plug check run and coasting back to the truck, checked the plug, had some munchies then checked the oil level not realizing what I had just done: Shut the motor off at WOT... THere was nothing reading on the dip stick, freaked me out for awhile since I just rebuilt the motor. Took me a bit to figure what happened... the motor didn't idle prior to checking the oil :p

thejeepdude
05-05-2006, 09:01 AM
Well, I went out this morning and warmed her up... let it idle for 3-5 mins, and low-and-behold OIL! :cool:

So it's appearing that was the main issue, not letting it idle before checking. However, I am still wondering why most people that run it hard and then check it too soon are seeing OVER full conditions at the tank while mine looks UNDER full. I'm still a little hesitant to believe everything is 100% OK, but I think I'm gonna risk it and see how she does at the dunes this weekend. Hopefully I don't seize up my $210 bore job!