PDA

View Full Version : Smoking???

lowNchrome69
05-04-2006, 08:23 PM
I got a 2000 400ex recently purchased. But got it rode it for about 2 weeks. Then changed oil (royal purple full syn) and the first time i started it after that it smoked not to bad but for about 10-20 seconds, and then it didnt do it again. (my oil tank was cracked) so i baugth a new one off ebay and put it on and put brand new oil in it, (same kind) and just started it up didnt drive it just started and it did it again that was about a week ago. So i went out there the last 3 days and started it fro about 3 mins a time and didnt smoke at all. I cant figure it out. Could it be build up on my pipe? I have it gutted. Any knowledge would help me alot.

2000 400ex
Nacs Racing Graphics
White Brothers Rev Box
+1 on front sproket
190 douglas rims
Renthal Handle Bars
Tether Switch
K&N

GPracer2500
05-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Could be valve-stem seals.

Smoking only at startup that doesn't reoccur again until after the engine has sat for a while (ususally days) indicates leaking valve-stem seals.

What happens is that oil that sits in the head leaks down past the valve-stem seals thus coating the valves and dripping down into the cylinder. Start up the engine and this oil burns off causing the smoking. But the engine has to sit dormant for a while before anymore oil can leak past the seals and build up again. If the seals are just barely weaping then it might take a week or more of sitting for enough oil to leak past to cause noticable smoking at start-up. Ever seen an old car smoke at startup after sitting a few months?? That's worn valve stem seals.

pr0t0type670
05-05-2006, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lowNchrome69
[B]I Could it be build up on my pipe? I have it gutted.

How does the stock pipe sound gutted? And How is the performance? I have been considering it

thanks for the input

lowNchrome69
05-05-2006, 09:02 PM
[B]I Could it be build up on my pipe? I have it gutted.

It didnt make a power increase at all i dont think, i think it lost some, and it sounds alright i wouldnt do it, the only reason i havent put the spark arrester back in cause i lost the bolts

2000 400ex
Nacs Racing Graphic
K&N
Douglas 190
Renthal Bars
White Brothers Rev Box
Front Sproket +1

pr0t0type670
06-08-2006, 07:30 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lowNchrome69
[B][B]I Could it be build up on my pipe? I have it gutted.

It didnt make a power increase at all i dont think, i think it lost some, and it sounds alright i wouldnt do it, the only reason i havent put the spark arrester back in cause i lost the bolts

well if you have the spark arrestor out you do not have your pipe "gutted" there is three chamers behind the one large chamer at the end of the piple when you have the spark arrestor out.