PDA

View Full Version : which quad for moto-x should i go with?

08-05-2002, 11:22 AM
i just sold a dirt bike, and now i have all this weird smellin' green paper to give to someone in exchange for a quad. i plan on focusing mainly on motocross-style riding and racing: sharp turns, technical rhythm sections, and of course, big air. i'm in a dilema as to which quad would be the best to build up into moto-x status. i've heard good things about the 250r and the 400ex, but i've heard just as many gripes as compliments. the banshee is more of a "duner" to me, but is it worth it to put in the wrenchtime to start racin' it? any others i didn't mention that are worth mentioning? cannondales are 2 expensive, btw. thanks in advance.

Razorback
08-05-2002, 11:44 AM
you can't go wrong with an R or a 400. i guess it depends on two things: 1) what kind of power are you looking for/used to - 2 or 4 stroke and 2) do you mind the maintenance requirements of a two stroke?

from my experience, the R's seem to be ridden by the better riders at the tracks. personally, i like the controllable power of a 4-stroke. i've talked to some people who moved from a 400 to a 250r and were not happy because the powerband is so different. either way, you'd be happy.

MxDale71
08-05-2002, 06:24 PM
Well, you say the Dale is to expensive, but in the long run, it will be cheaper to build the Dale into a fully set up MX'er. If you buy a Cannondale, you don't have to buy the $8,000 Speed, or the $10,000 Blaze, or the $12,000 Moto. I'm not trying to prove you wrong about the expense thing because I don't know anything about what you want to spend money on, but I'm just trying to bring up a point incase you might have over looked it.

If you still feel the Dale is to expensive, you should look into a Z400. You can get more power out of it than you could the 400ex, for a lower price. But the axle would probably be the first thing you need to replace.

Regulator 250X
08-05-2002, 06:29 PM
If you can find it... 250R... preferably tricked out already, easiest and cheapest way to go........ RIDE RED!!

Nausty
08-05-2002, 08:41 PM
I say go for a used 400ex preferbly a newer model in great shape and modded:D Starting to get pretty cheap with all these new quads coming out, even though the 400ex is about the best all around machine and definitely the best mx'er seeing it handles only a tad worse than a r. And after that is all you need is some shocks and your set to race.

airheadedduner
08-05-2002, 11:08 PM
Cannondale moto 440 is wayyy cheaper then modding a 250r. Plus it is a new machine so you don't have to worry about working on it all the time, and it is a thuper so it is much more reliable. Counting repairs and mods I have like $8-10k in my R and it is still a pile. The R is tuff to beat though.

Clay
08-06-2002, 08:14 AM
I bought a piece of crap, and built my R. From the ground up MYSELF, and I have $15,000 in mine at least. If i were you, i would get a Z400 or a 400EX. I love my R, love the power, but you may not want all the troubles and money that goes along with it. YOu have to maintain them well, and constantly be on top of things. If i had it to do over again, I would probably buy a 400EX, but i would never get rid of my R. I love it now.

BigThumper33
08-07-2002, 02:49 AM
I would get an R or an ex. Yes you can end up with 15k into your R but that is after some time. You drop 12k into a brand new c dale moto but that is brand new, and things break I dont care what quad you have things break when raced. So you will end up putting money into a c dale also.

MotoRacer
08-07-2002, 05:12 AM
I have a fully race ready 265/310R I am selling. Everything is aftermarket except the frame. It is an AWESOME MXer. It has just been finished being redone. It has new gaskets, seals, piston, piston rings, powdercoated, gusseting , etc....it has a 265cc engine in it now, but also comes with a NEW CT310 kit. Laeger a-arms, swingarm, and steering stem, works shocks, pro peg nerfs, renthal bars, maier plastic, DG bumper, Ac grab bar, durablue axle, lonestar carrier, beadlocks, polishing, coolhead...etcc...etcc....i don't want to list everything here, it will take up too much room...but, let me know if you are interested. I bought it for 6000, pulled it all apart, had it all redone(over 2500$ worth).....make me an offer.

QuadTrix6
08-07-2002, 08:11 AM
stay away from the suzuki it is horrible, my current quad is a 400ex 2002 and its my first quad i love it its amazing and very fun to ride and hook up, id go with the 400ex you won't be disapointed

01TRX300EX
08-07-2002, 08:18 AM
I'd say go with the Z400 or if you can find a used C-dale then those 2 would be good chioces. I wouldn't get an EX because you would end up dumping all that money into it and still not be the best, the R would be a good choice, but you are dealing with a 13-16 year old quad and parts are probably going to become more rare as all the new 4-strokes come in and there are less and less R's around. So I say Z or C-dale. Unless you want to make a custom CRF of YZF conversion or something.