PDA

View Full Version : Ahh, Help!!!! OIL DRAIN BOLT STRIPPED!!!

Sjorge450R
05-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Well, i never had a washer on my oil drain bolt on my 300ex, so when I was at the dealer, we decided to get one. Since my seal on my CS sprocket went the oil was all ready drained. Well I put this bolt and washer in and it never got tight!!!! So I backed it out and found the threads on the bolt. So I took the washer off and then put the bolt back in. I screwed it in alot by hand and then I tightened it but not too much. So then I oiled her up and went in the road and was wheelying and going WFO. Parked it and no oil was dripping. Now the thing is, I dont feel comfortable with the bolt like that. What can I do to the hole so it will work like factory again. Mabey I can re-tapp it??? Thanks alot.
Steve

Aceman
05-04-2006, 06:31 PM
I had this same problem. I ended up buying a Helicoil kit from NAPA for about 70 bucks:eek: But it fixed the threads BETTER than new.

Sjorge450R
05-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
I had this same problem. I ended up buying a Helicoil kit from NAPA for about 70 bucks:eek: But it fixed the threads BETTER than new.

i know some one that has some helicoil. is it hard to do???

MOS300ex
05-04-2006, 06:45 PM
You can rethread the hole. Itll be a lil bigger than the bolt. Depending on how much you gotta go you can use the stock bolt and some thread tape, or get a bigger bolt

Aceman
05-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
i know some one that has some helicoil. is it hard to do???

No. It requires drilling out your oil drain hole, rethreading the hole with a tap, and using a helicoil tool to run the helicoil into the hole. Put your quad on some ramps or blocks so you can get under it easy enough to drill/tap the hole. When your finished I would pour some oil in it to flush the shavings out that might of gotten into the cases. I would change your filter after an hour or two of riding as well.

Crazy Diamond
05-04-2006, 09:40 PM
You could try a bolt that is just a little longer. Usually there is a bit more thread inside and a longer bolt should work.

Sjorge450R
05-05-2006, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Crazy Diamond
You could try a bolt that is just a little longer. Usually there is a bit more thread inside and a longer bolt should work.

I will try this. Do you guys think that if I can find a way to put the quad upside down, take my oil bolt out, throw some lock tite on in and put it back in and use it like that for a race? I mean, I will try to pick up a new bolt today and try it out, Will any 12mm bolt work?

prepracing
05-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Crazy Diamond

usually yes....in his case I doubt it the bottom of the case on a 300 is not very thick and you turn it up on its end and look at it you will be able to see all the threads there are. Better go with the heli-coil kit :macho

Sjorge450R
05-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by prepracing
usually yes....in his case I doubt it the bottom of the case on a 300 is not very thick and you turn it up on its end and look at it you will be able to see all the threads there are. Better go with the heli-coil kit :macho

yeah, my dad comes home in about 1/2 hour and we are going to run out to Pep-boys and grap a kit. 24 hours from the start of my race and here I am messing with the engine. I hate touching it the 3 days before the race. lol