PDA

View Full Version : HD cam chain??

Glamis400ex
05-04-2006, 05:54 PM
OK....so my motor is currently being overhauled as I type this. My engine is 5 years old and still on the stock cam chain. Should I go ahead and get the HD cam chain since I have it apart?

Part # I came up with from Service Honda is 14401-HP1-671
Is that the right #?

Thanks,

Glamis

IrideMHSC
05-04-2006, 06:33 PM
I dunno a whole lot about the honda cam chains but i run one in both my suzuki bikes and they are wonderful... Its definately worth the few pennies extra to do it once your in there.... you definately wont regret it

maxamillion
05-04-2006, 08:11 PM
I would highly recomend a new cam chain. The crf450 (year 01 or 02) dirtbike cam chain has the same # of links and is much stronger. I didnt replace mine in my 2002 and it snapped and almost ruined my new top end. I run the crf450 cam chain now and it runs great.

Glamis400ex
05-04-2006, 08:25 PM
OK then, I'm looking in my manual and it looks like a few gears and possibly the clutch need to come off to install it. How tough is it and any special tools?

JOEX
05-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
OK then, I'm looking in my manual and it looks like a few gears and possibly the clutch need to come off to install it. How tough is it and any special tools?
There are special tools available and recomended but not neccessary, I used an impact wrench and a shop rag and it worked fine for me. Watch you fingers though! Some people have said they use a penny inbetween the gears but i'm not too keen on that idea.

The clutch does need to be removed, a good time to add HD springs if desired. The nut holding it on is 'staked' to the shaft, be sure to pry it up before trying to loosen it. A new nut is recomended after removal.

IrideMHSC
05-05-2006, 07:08 AM
On my z-400 i had to use a clutch hub holder in order to get the hub off.. which has to be removed in order to get it off the gear on a z-400 (just my personal experience...)