PDA

View Full Version : Handheld GPS?

DieselBoy
05-04-2006, 01:42 PM
I was thinking about getting a GPS unit for my job, and since I travel alot in hopes it would make life easier... Do any of you have a handheld GPS, or GPS units? I was just wondering how it works if you're on the road and you want to find a place whether or not you can get directions without connecting it to your pc? I know nothing about them and am just wondering for future reference.

I want something where I can be on the road and I can easily search and find locations within the GPS to navigate around without going to your pc. I was looking at this one:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0000DJEIL.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Opinions?

NET450r350x
05-04-2006, 02:15 PM
I know that some of the Garmin units have turn by turn directions. You need to buy the optional mapsource city cds. You download the maps to the gps and then you dont need the computer to navigate. Garmin makes some great products and i am very happy with my Rino 130.

DieselBoy
05-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by NET450r350x
I know that some of the Garmin units have turn by turn directions. You need to buy the optional mapsource city cds. You download the maps to the gps and then you dont need the computer to navigate. Garmin makes some great products and i am very happy with my Rino 130.

Where would you get the mapsource City CDs? Does yours give all the road names?

quads14589
05-04-2006, 02:51 PM
gps unit it gives u alot better readings,graphics and the handheld ones arent the greatest.

NacsMXer
05-04-2006, 02:57 PM
I don't use a handheld GPS but rather a GPS unit I use in my truck on the street. I use a Garmin Streetpilot C330. It is really nice because it has two nice speakers so you can hear the lady's voice on where to turn just like in most luxury vehicles. Only 1 button for On/Off. Has a 3D map view that shows and labels each upcoming street and the street you are on . The overhead display always tells the next street that is coming up until you pass it which is nice. Since it is a dedicated street GPS unit, it comes preloaded with basically everything in the US including restaurants, businesses, gas stations, etc etc. If I want to find a KFC in your neighborhood it will find it lol.

When looking at GPS units I reccommend you figure out if you will be using it more out in the woods or like hiking with it, or if you will be using it more on the street. I use mine far more on the street so the streetpilot was the right one for me. I used to have a Garmin handheld a few years ago and used it in my car. It wasn't all that great: B/W screen, no touchscreen, no voice prompts, small screen hard to read while driving. Just wasn't what I needed so I returned it and waited a few years for something better.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0007LJHVA.01._PE41_.Garmin-StreetPilot-c330-GPS-Vehicle-Navigator._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

NET450r350x
05-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
Where would you get the mapsource City CDs? Does yours give all the road names?

You can get the mapsource CDs direct from Garmin. And yes they list street names. Heres a helpful link for you to look at. http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/cityselect.jsp

DieselBoy
05-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the info, I would rather be educated on these thing's than go in blind folded. I will be using it strictly for streets, I don't want one for in the wild, I would perhaps like something that will guide me to any desired location via GPS receiver instead of loading it by pc, and going out, cause it would be a hastle as I need to find locations while in the vehicle. NacsMXer, how much did that unit cost you? Do you think the handheld's are even design for street use? The Meridian looks like it does but I'm not sure. This is all new to me. Thanks...

I just don't want to get in too deep if you know what I mean.

NacsMXer
05-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
Thanks for the info, I would rather be educated on these thing's than go in blind folded. I will be using it strictly for streets, I don't want one for in the wild, I would perhaps like something that will guide me to any desired location via GPS receiver instead of loading it by pc, and going out, cause it would be a hastle as I need to find locations while in the vehicle. NacsMXer, how much did that unit cost you? Do you think the handheld's are even design for street use? The Meridian looks like it does but I'm not sure. This is all new to me. Thanks...

I just don't want to get in too deep if you know what I mean.

Yeah, if you aren't going to be using it for mapping coordinates and all that stuff, you don't really want a handheld. Most handhelds have on/off road capabilities, but they aren't as good on the street because the screen is so small. You want to just quickly glance at the screen while you are driving, not squint and stare and try to read what it says. Most handhelds don't talk to you either. I paid around 550 for the C330 StreetPilot, it is one of the most simple and effective units you can buy. That older handheld Garmin I bought 4 years ago cost 400 and at that time I would have had to pay 1000 dollars for something on par with the Streetpilot. If you shop around, the price isn't all too bad. My dad liked it so much, he went and bought one for himself.