PDA

View Full Version : Are the front spindles cast?

smoxy
05-04-2006, 07:46 AM
Does anyone know if the front 250R spindles are cast? I'm guessing they are but just want to be sure before I tell by buddy he can't weld on them!

gopher_6_9
05-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Yes they are cast. What is he wanting to weld?

smoxy
05-04-2006, 10:19 PM
Ah, he's got some crazy ideal that he can make a protrax setup or somthin'! Thanks for puting that to rest for me! Just as I thought! Can't wait to show the idiot this! Only kidding! He's a good friend with crazy and cheap ideas!

250R-Dee
05-05-2006, 12:12 AM
He will need to preheat the spindles in an oven before welding (or be ghetto and use a torch) and then cool then in an oven. If the spindles are heated or cooled too fast the welds will be weak. Weak welds on supsension parts = a trip to the Doctor or maybe even the morgue.

gopher_6_9
05-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by TRX250RJapan
He will need to preheat the spindles in an oven before welding (or be ghetto and use a torch) and then cool then in an oven. If the spindles are heated or cooled too fast the welds will be weak. Weak welds on supsension parts = a trip to the Doctor or maybe even the morgue. Correct it is entirely possible to do that, it is just not feasable for the home amateur welder.

250R-Dee
05-05-2006, 10:34 PM
We have a mini oven at our shop that we use to heat parts for welding and for removing stubborn bearings from LSD's :chinese:. We also have mini heaters that we use to heat parts.

What kind of welder does your friend have? If he has an ARC welder tel him to make sure he gets the correct rod. If he has a MIG welder tell him to turn up the heat and make sure he gets GOOD penetration.

beerock
05-07-2006, 10:44 AM
im sure i could mock up a tpin front end

but i wouldnt use the stock 250r spindles, i would start from scratch and would need a machinist to drill and cut the main part of the tpin drill grease holes thread the aluminum for tie rod mouting tabs etc. the design is fairly simple.