PDA

View Full Version : My challenge . . .

dtmichau
05-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Im a die hard honda fan, always have been. However, the LTR is really really appetizing. I was waiting for a review on the three and when Quad magazine released their shootout, i was seriously dissapointed. At first i was slightly angered at how they practically made the 450r out to be a heap of junk. Stating, that it fell short in EVERY catagory ranging from tires to ergonomics, Quad magazine tore the 450R apart. The next thing I was upset about over the article was the fact that it was completely based on subjective information; nothing objective was objective (information that is directly measureable). Basically, they took 3 individuals, the three quads, rode them around, swtiched riders, rode them around some more, and then published their OPINIONS. No lap times, drag results, dyno numbers, or any other factual measurement was taken.

Quad magazine is a new magazine that is trying to make a name for itself. One would think that a magazine would put more effort into comparing the the three quads more in depth. Especially considering that this shootout is so monumental.

Here is the challenge to the magazines.....

Stop writing CRAP......plz.

Give me and the rest of the readers some solid information to formulate a decision on. All three of these bikes are amazing, which makes it difficult to choose. I guess our hopes now lie in DIRT WHEELS....so I also guess I wont be holding my breath :).

KWAD GAWD
05-03-2006, 10:26 PM
I'm a magazine guy, an industry guy. I just read the same shootout review on my way to the Birch Creek National last Friday in the truck. I'm not biased at all, I can't be because I'm part of the media. Sure I have my favorite riders and somtimes I lean in one direction for a time being, but it all boils down to being fair. My magazine doesn't do shootouts, so I don't have to take sides between the manufacturers battle of the best. I was suprised that the Honda got such bad reviews too.

Most readers don't understand the way the media works. First of all - just because it's printed in a magazine doesn't mean it's true across the board. Readers are often spoon-fed info, kids read, adults read it and believe it. Well, info can be biased - sad fact, more often than not. Don't believe everything you read unless it's based on hard facts.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the Editors of mags can print whatever they like. They're not some super human person that knows everything about everything and knows exactly how every single person likes to ride, and prefers about a bike. No, they're just normal dudes with college degrees who happen to score a job working at a magzine.

Another thing you must take into consideration is politics. Every mag has advertisers. The ads in the magazine is where their money comes from. A single page ad can run up to $5,000-6,000 dollars in some cases. Say, if Yamaha was one of your biggest advertisers... would you bad mouth their bike? Umm, NO! Of course not, that would be stupid... just an example here.

I'm saying two things here... first off, everybody is different. Some people like different things about a bike - so therefore it's hard to produce a good test based on rider opinions only. Second, politics play much more of a part than the readers realize. It is what it is... they thought the Suz was best, and the Yam was 2nd. Oh well, deal with it... that's just their opinion.

I'm not dogging any bike. I haven't spend enough time on all of the 450 bikes, so I can't say. I've ridden them all, but not back to back bone stock in the same day. A test is a test - a few guys say what they think. Big deal, don't get your panties in a bunch. What it boils down to is all the bikes are good. It's just a matter of what your prefer.

Was it biased? We'll never know... but they're entitled to their opinion. After all, when will your average "Joe Quad" get the chance to ride all three brand new, stock 450s back to back? He probably won't ever. So it's hard to judge accurately for yourself isn't it? These magazine tests aren't the Bible of ATVs.... don't take them too seriously. You like what YOU like whether it be Suzuki, Yamaha or Honda. The end.

need2ride
05-03-2006, 11:59 PM
Ok get the new issue of dirt wheels it has a very very good!!!! shootout lap time etc!!

the suzuki does win though!!! but it dont down any of the bikes at all.

the new atv sport also had a shootout! i believe!!

just thought i would let ya know

ST87
05-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Not downing any magazine but kinda what kwad gawd said is in my words you can sorta tell whos gonna win the shoot out by what company is on the back cover or whoever has the biggest ad. Its a buisness theyre trying to make money too.