PDA

View Full Version : Which transmission oil to use

TheFontMaster
05-03-2006, 08:43 PM
I plan on starting to run Amsoil oil for the transmission, which oil that they make is the best to run? Or what are the advantages and disadvantages of each kind so I can make my decision as to which oil is best for my needs.

Scottt89
05-03-2006, 10:13 PM
I'm not sure about AmsOil, but I've used Belray Gearsaver, in all 3 of my bikes, I've had nothing but good results, I think it may be priced a bit better then AmsOil.

Scott-300ex
05-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Yeh, I'm pretty sure I run Belray GearSaver in mine too.

How often do you guys change yours?

daman02
05-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Maxima MTL tranny fluid is very good stuff as well

TheFontMaster
05-06-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm just asking about the Amsoil. What are the advantages/disadvantages to the different wieghts and types of oils they make.

hollywood250r
05-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Scottt89
I'm not sure about AmsOil, but I've used Belray Gearsaver, in all 3 of my bikes, I've had nothing but good results, I think it may be priced a bit better then AmsOil.

I use Amsoil 10W40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil. It works well for me. It is formulated to work with wet clutches. I find it to be much cheaper then Belray Gearsaver. I run 10W40 because that is way the Honda Manual states. I know that an oil that is too heavy is not good for smaller bearings. I have heard that the 85W gear oil is the same viscosity as 10W40 motor oil but I have not ready technical articles to support this.

beerock
05-07-2006, 10:30 AM
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=47&catid=2&loc=show

thats what i run

all you need to do to check out if a viscosity is lighter then 10w-40 is check out the viscosity reading in the msds sheet

you splitting hairs with oil, but if you really want the most power out of your motor run automatic transmission lfuid and change it every time you ride. that stuff is great but breaks down very fast

x.system
05-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by beerock
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=47&catid=2&loc=show

thats what i run

all you need to do to check out if a viscosity is lighter then 10w-40 is check out the viscosity reading in the msds sheet

you splitting hairs with oil, but if you really want the most power out of your motor run automatic transmission lfuid and change it every time you ride. that stuff is great but breaks down very fast

Thats what I'm going to try this summer, our races consist of about 30 laps max. My engine builder also recomended this.