PDA

View Full Version : Flip rims, what did you do with valve stem ?

450rJam
05-03-2006, 07:26 PM
ok my cousin flipped his front rims to get added stability.
his valve stems hit the break caliper and now its just wore the end of the stem off (the thing still holds air) cant put caps on.
I know the rims are offset to protect the breaks, but I am willing to take the small chance that something wont hit it hard enough to do any damage. now how do I get the stems on the other side and plug the old hole ?
Im thinking I can stick the old stem in backwards and just drill the other side out.
Has anyone done this or have any helpfull advice?
I know its cheap way to do it but its just temp. to see if I like it.
and how strong are the wheel spacers for the back ?
please give me the pro's and the con's.

ATC350X 85
05-03-2006, 07:51 PM
For all the trouble this is worth I would just get wheel spacers if you are looking to save money or buy an inexpensive set of arms on ebay.

pred67
05-03-2006, 08:09 PM
I flipped my rims on my predator and the stems hit too, so I went down to a locale tire store and bought planter valve stems. They stick out just enough to thread on a cap. I don't know where you're from but I had a little trouble finding planter valve stems and I live in Iowa so good luck finding some.:rolleyes:

Moto92
05-03-2006, 10:23 PM
you take out the existing stem, flip it around, and put it back in backwards to plug the hole. then buy new stems, drill new holes, and place them back on the outside.
not a good mod though. it just puts extra wear on your balljoints

jeepnrocks
05-05-2006, 02:56 AM
yep, flip the cap and drill a new hole.
Along with the added stability your friend is going to get added bump steer. flipping the rims is never a good idea. jmo

JW450R1
05-05-2006, 07:20 PM
go with off set wheels.jeepnrocks is right.handling does suck after that.

450rJam
05-05-2006, 08:18 PM
I bought a 250ex that has the rims flipped and spacers on the back and it is alot more stable, what is bump steer ? (just the jerk on the bars when you hit small bumps)
I understand it will put more stress on the ball joints and the 450r is rode alot harder than the wifes ex.
that is why I was leaning toward flipping the rims thinking it would be stronger than wheel spacers.
I believe its a little cheesy I just dont see where it will handle worse, it turns great and straight line and jumps are beautiful
its just comming into corners hot I have to slide almost off the seat to hold the inside down.
a arms and axle would be the correct way to do it I know.
I am in the process of replacing the tranny in a ss monte carlo
to sell for some upgrades but for now..................

yamablaster24
05-05-2006, 09:12 PM
man flippin your rims i think is outweighed by the bads more then the goods. I had just offset rims on my 450 and just by putting stocknon flipped rims back on my quad the handling was improved and turning also. Honestly is was barely anymore tippier but there was not half as much bumpsteer, quad tracked better, and overall kept me riding longer without gettin worn out

weekendracer91
05-06-2006, 07:11 AM
put some washers on there

JW450R1
05-06-2006, 05:26 PM
I REALLY DON'T THINK WASHERS WILL WORK.GETTING BACK TO THE WHEEL SPACERS.MY FREIND INSTALLED THEM ON A RAPTOR AND HE BENT THE REAR AXLE.MY OPINION IS THAT U ARE PUTTING MORE STRAIN OUT TO THE END OF THE AXLE WITH THE SPACERS,COMPARED TO JUST THE AFTER MARKET +2.THEIRS ALSO A LOT OF STRAIN ON THE HUB ITSELF.

450rJam
05-06-2006, 07:22 PM
I guess I will leave it as is for now, maybe getting the gtt reworked stock shocks will be enough to get it handleing good.