PDA

View Full Version : Dyna FS CDI??

velocityatv
05-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Anyone else running the single curve non programmable Dyna CDI?

Been looking at a problem with maybe too much advance. She likes to kick back bad. Enough to send bend the steel shank in my work boots, and send me up into my EZ UP canopy. I have a RPM timing plate on there and even adjusted it retarded a degree or two. Seems to get a little better. Never had this problem until I put this box on.

Thought I'd check around, going to call Dyna and find out how much advance it adds over stock.

xlr810
05-05-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't know what it is about that CDI either. I have the same one. With an oem CDI I start my R in one kick, even while sitting down. It takes at least 3 fast (standing up) kicks to get it to start on the DYNA CDI. This is with a brand new stator, Ricky Stator lightweight flywheel, low hour oem coil, stock timing, and a new plug. It gives me better response, especially at higher RPMs, but the hard starting sucks. If you contact them about it, post their response. Good luck.

Meat
05-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Dyna's CDIs use variable timing. the timing advance changes throught the powerband, they should have programmed it with less timing advance at low rpm to keep the power smooth and make it easier to start. I don't know much about the 250r's Dyna CDi, but on a Banshee the Dyna CDI's advance the curve 4 to 5 degrees max. I dunno but the banshee crowd seems to like em alot and Iv never heard of Dynas on Banshee that are hard to start or kick-back the kicker.

How much engine compression are you running ??

lee37vernon
01-26-2007, 06:09 AM
i've just got one but cant fit it to try till i get my cylinder on . how did you overcome the problem of starting ? what was the problem in the end .

xlr810
01-26-2007, 06:42 AM
I still have the Dyna CDI, but I haven't been using it. I've been running a stocker. And even with 205 lbs compression, I start it with one kick while sitting.

I spoke with another guy who purchased a new Dyna like mine, and his was DOA-- they replaced it without hassle, and his replacement CDI works perfectly.

I probably should have just exchanged mine, too-- but, I've had it way too long for that, now.

machwon
01-26-2007, 02:43 PM
I have the programable one and it does have a couple variable curves. The stock curve is set at a flat line 21 degree's and that is an option in the programable. Based upon my experience using one, I've left it on the shelf for a reason, but keeping it for an alky conversion later. Yes, banshee folks have been liking it but heard of reliability problems. The 250r's like it as well on alky and I haven't heard of any reliability issues except above.

velocityatv
01-27-2007, 07:24 AM
After some more messing around I finally got it to start right. I had to retard my plate back stock or 1 degree advanced. Then all of the sudden the damn thing started stalling at high RPM.

Sent it back. Man that was an interesting adventure. Things have a one year warranty, but I guess at the time they were having a phone problem ( so they say ).........almost a month later I finally get a hold of someone and he tells me......"OH yeah I got you box sitting right here in front of me!!" "Hang on a min while I open the box and look at what you sent." :eek2: (almost a month later)

Really here nor there, they replaced it. They didn't fix it, they just gave me a new one. Kudo's on that part.

I called and talked to a tech. They advance 4 degrees for start. He did say however that if your a hard fast kicking son of a gun, you may actually get the RPM's high enough that the cdi enters the advanced curve were it changes to 6 degrees. He was thinking that was my kick back problem. I like to TDC it and kill it with one kick. He thinks I was kicking it too fast and getting too much advance.

Works great now. Just put a new coil on it and I will say....the best $100 I spent on my quad!!!!

The tech did say they start the curve at 4 degrees and then progress to 6 and then back down to 2 for top end.

lee37vernon
01-27-2007, 08:03 PM
thanks everyone :D

regg187
01-28-2007, 07:39 AM
I've got one and really like it. My quad fires up easily cold or hot, which it never used to do. It seems to work perfect for me-great power bottom to top. No detonation anywhere and I have 195 psi.

I like it so much I'm thinking about getting the programmable one!