PDA

View Full Version : help....rookie mistake :(

400exdave
05-03-2006, 04:01 PM
i have a 2004 honda 400ex...and my rear brake rotor is warped.. from casing on a jump...so i bought a new one and am putting it on. First i took off the rear brake caliper, then proceeded to take off the rotor from the axle. bolt number 1 came out easy...number 2 came out easy number 3 came out easy then onto number 4... It wouldn't move for the life of me! it came down to the point of me stripping it pretty badly. So now i have 1 bolt holding the rotor on the axle. AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. lol. usually when this happens i usually get just enough grip to take off the nearly stripped bolt, then buy a new one. but this one just has no grip left to it, when i place the allen wrench into it. any help would be appretiated. rookie mistake... i know. Thanks in advance.

dave

spent21
05-03-2006, 04:11 PM
you've gotten yourself into a pickle that is hard to give internet advise... the best thing is to heat the hub where the bolt is stripped at this point. cool it with water, and then squirt penetrating oil all over the bolt. after that, hit it with a hammer. you may have to do this a few times. get a good set of vice grips on that booger, and you MAY get it out. if you can't get the vice grips on the bolt, grind off the head of the bolt, and you may be able to get it out with those vice grippers. let us know what happens.

PismoLocal
05-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Take a drill and drill a hole right through the center of the bolt or you can buy a little deal from the hard ware wtore called an "easy out".

05-03-2006, 04:29 PM
you've gotten yourself into a pickle that is hard to give internet advise... the best thing is to heat the hub where the bolt is stripped at this point. cool it with water, and then squirt penetrating oil all over the bolt. after that, hit it with a hammer. you may have to do this a few times. get a good set of vice grips on that booger, and you MAY get it out. if you can't get the vice grips on the bolt, grind off the head of the bolt, and you may be able to get it out with those vice grippers. let us know what happens.

that was officially the dumbest thing I've herd... heat the hub??? WOW... I have had stripped bolts many of times on my front bumper and the same always applies, turn ur drill to reverse once you get the drill in the middle of the screw and simply the bolt will come out.

BuB400
05-03-2006, 04:40 PM
what brand of drill bits do you have? Magic ones?

PismoLocal
05-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by BuB400
what brand of drill bits do you have? Magic ones?

You have never seen drill bits that are made for drilling metal?

nosliw
05-03-2006, 05:00 PM
try hammering an easyout/torx bit/square bit/bigger allen bit or whatever fits into that hole to try and get a grip.

Taylor400ex
05-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Buy a Torque Wrench (be sure your going the right way) rightie tightie left loosey. Get a Allan Wrench socket, (whatever you want to call it) THE SAME SIZE AS YOUR BOLT. and back it out. A torque wrench applies the same amount of force to all contacts points on the bolt, screw, whatever you want to call it.

Unverfehrt400ex
05-03-2006, 06:53 PM
How in the world would a torque wrench help!!!!!

Taylor400ex
05-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Unverfehrt400ex
How in the world would a torque wrench help!!!!!

a torque wrench distibutes equal amount of pressure to each contact point, where a person turning an allan wrench is more likely to strip it out.

your not using a torque wrench to tightenit only to loosen

iwannaride202
05-03-2006, 08:19 PM
ok.....not trying to get into arguments but the easy out idea sounds the best to me (i have done this many of times) an easy out is a backwards threaded screw (basically) that you hammer into your drilled out bolt which should bite (because of the backwards threads) and turn the bolt out......idea #2 i know it is not the best idea but sometimes must be used as last resort....very simple.....weld the allen wrench to the bolt.....just my ideas......

smitht316
05-03-2006, 11:13 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Taylor400ex
[B]a torque wrench distibutes equal amount of pressure to each contact point, where a person turning an allan wrench is more likely to strip it out.

im sorry but who in the hell thinks a torque wrench in anyway will HELP loosen a bolt. torque wrenches are designed to torque a bolt to a certain spec not to loosen a bolt or even tighten a bolt with equal pressure. i know not any help at all but that might have been the dumbest comment i have ever heard.

just cut the bolt off.

Taylor400ex
05-03-2006, 11:17 PM
hey man sorry for the dumbest reply youve ever heard all i was saying was a torque wrench would work to loosin a bolt also, you could you a ratchet or any thing like that. yea cutting it off is a great idea.

Def-e-nition
05-04-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by nosliw
try hammering an easyout/torx bit/square bit/bigger allen bit or whatever fits into that hole to try and get a grip.

Best advice .

Torx bit works a charm . Smack that bugger into the stripped thread , let it make its own thread , and turn for all your worth . a Little bit of that wonder sparay you always see ex mechanics advertising on tv wouldnt hurt either .

Angus
05-04-2006, 01:26 AM
ALWAYS Lube up the threads before you insert or remove a bolt/screw into anything. Thats the first thing anyone should do. WD-40 or even your chain lube works wonders. Personally, I'd smack the Allen wrench head into the bolt and use the torque wrench or drill it out, depending on how the head looks. I sure as h*ll wouldn't just cut the bolt off, because then you're still back to where you first started..having a bolt stuck- just now there isn't a head and you HAVE to drill it out unless you like ghetto lookin sh*t and keep it in there.

04gixxer
05-04-2006, 05:37 AM
These (or something like them) are going to save you a lot of time in screwing around with rounded off or stripped bolts. I have a set from blue point that have saved my butt so many times it is not even funny. Check them out.
bolt removers (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00952165000)

spent21
05-04-2006, 06:49 AM
i think some of the posters haven't even read the question. this guy has an allen head bolt stuck in the brake hub and has rounded the six point out of the inside. i immediately assumed he was using the correct size allen wrench to begin with and if you round the head out of a allen bolt, that mother is TIGHT!
you can try easy outs, and drilling. be my guest. it's a pain in the ***, not to mention, what are you going to do when you break off the easy out in the bolt?
and YES i said heat the hub. i'm not saying heat the entire thing, just that one ear that the bolt is stuck in. i'm 28 years old and have been pulling wrenches since i was 13. my dad has his own mechanic business and has been a diesel mechanic for 50 years. a 13 yr old boy will strip and break more bolts than anyone, so i learned first hand how to handle these things. i THINK i know what i'm talking about.

i really like those impact sockets 04gixxer. i haven't seen those before. i think that would greatly improve your chances with stubborn bolts.

94F450SD
05-04-2006, 07:24 AM
iwas gonna say the same thing,heatit up.goto home depot orany hardware store andbuy a heandheld propane or mapp gas torch.they are only like $20.00.but dont heat the head of the bolt.you want to heat the ear of the hub the bolt is stuck in.the heat will cause the metal around the bolt to expand enough to turn the bolt out.

04gixxer
05-04-2006, 08:04 AM
As a fellow wrench spinner for a number of years those will save you a lot of time and frustration. they will grab onto rounded, rusted, or whatever. They will grab onto the round part of the outside of the allen head without a problem.

1fst400
05-04-2006, 08:22 AM
worst case you have to buy a new brake hub off ebay for 20$.

DieselBoy
05-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Moto49X
damn, you guys think way to complicated!!! OK my friend, you need to get an air cutting wheel, that hooks up to your air compressior. Just cut a straight line right across the head of the bolt and use a flat head screwdriver to get it out. Easy as that.

GOOD IDEA!

400exdave
05-04-2006, 11:35 AM
thanks for all your help. unfortanately i have not attempted any of this yet, but will soon. so those bolt removers would work on my problem?

04gixxer
05-04-2006, 01:01 PM
As long as you have a something sticking out that they can grab onto I have never had a problem with them, but if the bolt is countersunk then forget it.

hushmoons
05-04-2006, 07:53 PM
same thing happened to me i used a dremel tool and ground a slot for a flat screwdriver took about 3 bits and 1/2 case of beer but hey who the hell needs back brakes anyways. TEAM WFO Lead,follow or get out of the way.

-copyguy-
05-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by 400exdave
thanks for all your help. unfortanately i have not attempted any of this yet, but will soon. so those bolt removers would work on my problem?

Yep. I used the exact same things on the allan bolts on the back of the swing arm. One was stripped (it was round in the center!) from the previous owner. The bolt remover grabbed right on it and backed it out...no problem. Heating the ear a little will help too if it is really stubborn.

Good luck.

1fst400
05-04-2006, 08:08 PM
thats right,! my rear brakes, no mater how often I fix em. Never seem to work on race day. I buy new rotors, bent within the end of the day, new pads forget it. New pads last all of 10 minutes it seems. I Just use front brake and engine brake. engine braking slows a guy doun faster then locking up the rear tires anyway.

Flyin-Low
05-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Moto49X
damn, you guys think way to complicated!!! OK my friend, you need to get an air cutting wheel, that hooks up to your air compressior. Just cut a straight line right across the head of the bolt and use a flat head screwdriver to get it out. Easy as that.

Couldnt have said it better myself... good job :D

Why does everyone want to go out and spend their money so fast on things like "easyout"?

-Martin

Halter
05-04-2006, 08:27 PM
just get the torch out and torch it out :D :D :D :D :D ...ahaha...

joking by the way..lol

jason43050
05-05-2006, 11:51 AM
umm just throw the quad away and buy another..... theres thousands out there... lmao just kidding