PDA

View Full Version : KOSO intakes

wvspeedfreak
05-03-2006, 03:20 PM
I bought a Koso intake kit for our mini a while back and have a couple questions about it.It came with 2 red plastic pieces,"stuffers" I think they are called.What exactly do they do.I noticed one had a larger hole than the other one,I am assuming the one with the smaller hole is better for bottom end power???Also are the reeds that come with these intakes any good?They look a little cheap to me.Thanks for any input on this.

wvspeedfreak
05-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Also I have heard of some people removing the reed stops.Is this a good idea or not?

BradLoomis
05-03-2006, 04:11 PM
The red stuffers should have a 24 or a 26 on the top of them. Use the # closest to the size carb you are using. It is designed to keep the velocity of the air/fuel mixture at a high enough rate as to not allow it to re-seperate into a solid fuel droplet again. Radius the incoming side of the hole so not to induce a turbulance to the incoming mixture, IE: sharp edges are bad.

I only use the dual petal reeds and don't have an issue with them. Composites reeds help your bottom end throttle response because they are stiffer and lighter and can respond quicker than the large single petal fiberglass reeds. But because they are stiffer they will not be able to open as far as the softer fiberglass ones can. The dual reeds offer the best off both worlds without actually being able to achieve either of the others greatest benefits. The dual reed will use the smaller petal to open and close quickly with the little bit of mixture flowing through them, then when you give it full throttle the larger one will open and join the little petal to act as one large petal. My rule of thumb is indoor MX/TT quick little blips of full throttle use graphite reeds. Outdoor MX use dual reeds. Outdoor big Flat Track use single fiberlass reeds.

I modify the reed stops by bending them around a 2 - 2 1/4" socket as to give them a smooth transition from bottom to tip of the reed. You dont want to remove them because on full throttle you will chance over flexing them or contacting the aluminum engine case which will crack or fray the ends.

Hope this helps.

wvspeedfreak
05-03-2006, 06:04 PM
That helps ALOT.Thanks!!

camsdad
05-04-2006, 09:06 AM
one thing to be aware of on reed stops...make sure you dont bend them to the point that the reed touches the cases....it will destroy the edges of the reed...