PDA

View Full Version : My delima. I need opinions

Rdhanded2
05-03-2006, 02:44 PM
I decided I wanted a boat this year, so I look around for weeks till I found the one I wanted. It was at a dealer here in Springfield called Eastside Marine. It was a 24ft Suntracker pontoon with a 40hp mercury, and a trailer. When I went in, the dealer said the motor had just been rebuilt, and ran like a top. I tossed it around for a couple days, then went back on Wednesday, 2 weeks ago with cash to get it. I got them down to $3200. I brought them the check, but they said I had to wait till Friday to pick it up because they would not have the title until then. I was disapointed, but agreed and went on my way. I then went out to the marina and got my boat slip for the summer. The damn slip cost me $1000, and is not refundable. I know that seems high, but it was cheap for around here and I am not a member of a boat club. Anyway, Friday comes, so I take off work and go to pick the boat up. She has the title now, but she tells me that she was mistaken, and the motor had not been rebuilt yet, but would be, and would not cost anything. I was pi$$ed! They said it would be done on Monday, so I reluctantly agreed. amd left. My weekend plans were runied, but I wanted a good motor not a turd. Monday comes, no call. I drive to the shop, and they say parts were back ordered, and it would be wednesday. Now , I am real mad, but what can I do, I had already paid. Wednesday comes, no call. I call and leave a message, no call back. Now remember, this is not a fly by night place, this is a reputable dealer. Thurday morning I drive there and they appologise up and down. They say the carb is bad, and they will be getting a new on and the boat will dfinately be done on Friday. Friday comes, oops, no carb. Monday at the latest. Monday, no boat... carb was shipped to wrong place!!! Tuesday, I get the call, come pick up the boat. Fully rebuilt engine, and runs tike a top. I go there, the f'n thing won't even turn over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They say how they can't understand why, and they will fix it by 9am Wednesday, and I will be on the water. Finally, at 12:30 they call and tell me the motor is shot, and they have no other motor cheaper than another $2400 on top of what I have already paid!!!! I told them to go to hell, and I want all my $ back including what I paid for title and what not. They said ok over the phone, but I have not went there yet. I am so mad I want to beat the crap out of them!!!

Sorry for the long post, but who runs a business like that?!?!:mad:

05-03-2006, 02:52 PM
I think I'd powerbomb everyone who works there and then some. Sorry to hear that though.

SGA
05-03-2006, 02:56 PM
It sounds like they really tried and yes they made some mistakes. If they give you all of your money back, its all good.
I know youre pissed, but things happen.
Next time, 1/2 money down until boat is picked up and running good.

Go get your money and move on with life.

400exrider707
05-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by SGA
It sounds like they really tried and yes they made some mistakes. If they give you all of your money back, its all good.
I know youre pissed, but things happen.
Next time, 1/2 money down until boat is picked up and running good.

Go get your money and move on with life.

lol thats not all that good, he paid $1000 for a NON-refundable dock slip! I wouldn't be moving on too quickly!! DAMN

05-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
lol thats not all that good, he paid $1000 for a NON-refundable dock slip! I wouldn't be moving on too quickly!! DAMN well he learned his lesson to not trust stealerships of any kind

Rdhanded2
05-03-2006, 05:23 PM
I got the money back minus slip, but that is not the point... the point was all the lies. Especially before I bought. They said it WAS rebuilt then. If they told me 2 weeks to fix, then that is fine, but don't blow smoke up my a$% daily about when it will be done. I asked them on 3 occassions if the motor was bad, or if this was going to happen and they reassured me it would not, and I was making out on the deal because of all the work they were doing. Of course, all the work they were doing was nothing because the boat sat untouched until esterday. It never moved, and was blocked in by other boats. I also put a sticker on the motor casing to see if they were working on it, and it was still there Monday night. That is why I am so upset... The lies. I guess I am an honest person, and still believe there are honest business people out there, I just can't find them.\

I did gety my money back without too much of a fight, so that is good. It was just 2 1/2 weeks late. I had also been looking a 3 other boats which are all gone now. That sucks!!

05-03-2006, 05:33 PM
its a sign not to get a boat! go find a friend with one instead, thats what I do ;) :p

DieselBoy
05-03-2006, 05:50 PM
your lucky they gave you your money back... some dealer's would make your life a living hell. They don't seem to care to keep the customer happy alot of the time

Stevie-D
05-03-2006, 07:25 PM
i'm having a similar experience with a truck i bought over a month ago. found the truck at a dealer 2 hours south of me. guy has over 600 vehicles on the lot, mostly trucks. i actually went down there to look at another vehicle..but found a 93 dodge 150. beautiful truck... anyhow, had it less than 3 days, and the tranny blew on me. called the dealer, who happened to be on florida on vacation, and he sent me a check for $100 to get a new lockup solenoid, which he swore was the problem. well after pulling the pan and finding metal shavings all over, i called him back... well about 2 weeks later he gets back from vacation and finally starts to fix it. a week later it's done. so i go down, start bringing it home, and it's running fine. get about halfway up I81, and one of the tranny cooler lines blew a flare off the end of it. so 3 hours later, after being hung up on by the secretary, the guy who rebuilt it, and the owner, i finally found a parts store and replaced the line on the side of the road. now keep in mind that i lost all of my tranny fluid before i knew it had happened. ended up bringing it home, and it ran fine for about 2 days. then reverse started slipping and locking up. got it home...then drive went on me. by now i'm ready to push the thing off of a cliff. called the guy, and he sent up his rollback this time. talked to him today, and he had to tear apart the whole tranny again..turns out it fried a bunch of clutch rings when it lost the fluid. should be ready by this weekend. i've owned the damn thing for about a month and a half, and driven it less than a week. it's nice that the tranny work is free, but by the time i pick it up this weekend, i'll have spent over $400 on fuel going back and forth:mad:

so ya, i know how frustrating it can be... i've been getting the runaround from this guy from the beginning. for a few days, nobody could tell me what was going on. talk about wanting to jump through the phone and strangle somebody:p

SGA
05-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
well he learned his lesson to not trust stealerships of any kind
I disagree. There are good dealerships out there. You just have to look around.

Originally posted by Rdhanded2
I did gety my money back without too much of a fight, so that is good. It was just 2 1/2 weeks late. I had also been looking a 3 other boats which are all gone now. That sucks!!

I would be plenty mad too. What do you do? Dont go back and spread the word. You are really lucky you got all of your money back. Some places would really string you along. I would go back and talk to the owner. I would guess he doesnt know what all went down. If he does, get the hell out of there and never go back.

416exmx
05-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Sounds like nothing went their way, but it seems like they tried. Move on and try to find another boat.

And in regards to a couple of your guys comments, you have NO idea what it takes to run a business, NO idea what it takes to manage a business, NO idea (AT ALL) anything about a business so don’t go saying "power bomb" everyone there. I've heard enough negative about dealerships or "stealerships" (as some choose to say), on here. You same people *****ing about why dealerships wont give you a job or a chance at a job are the first ones to ***** when there is a mess up at one. That could have been any one of us working at that dealership that this happened at. The point is that everyone working there IS human and humans DO make mistakes. It sounds like they did try everything possible to make it right with you though. Sometimes things just don’t work out. Think about everyone that was a part of this problem. The dealership in general, the salesman, the shop foreman, the parts man at the shop, the mechanic, FedEx or ups, a parts warehouse, the parts manufacture their self and so on. Lots of room for error.

LTZ400rider
05-03-2006, 09:49 PM
after the third bs lie i would of just left, or asked for my money back and pay when its fixed