PDA

View Full Version : Rirst race stories

drybranch
05-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Let's hear some first race stories. Lot's of posts about what to do to prepare but we never hear many stories about the first time. I am getting ready to race my first cross-country race and just want to hear about some other ppl's experiences.

400exrules
05-03-2006, 01:05 PM
dont try to get the holeshot like me, and get run over in the first turn

shano
05-03-2006, 01:07 PM
First race for me was last year, may 8th I believe, I did good in practise, learned the track well.. Then my moto came up and I got 4-5th in the holeshot, and passed 2 people up a hill then I went to hit a big double but didnt have enough speed, so I cased, got bucked off and rolled down the landing, almost got runned over by 18 people, but I got dragged off the track, and hurt my back pretty bad, but it was good!:cool:

RaptorRacer45
05-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Flying Dutchmen 3/13/05

Snow was just starting to dissapear and that would cause for an extremely Muddy Track in very low 40 degree weather. Still alittle nervous and knowing this was gonna be crazy i lined up alongside 30 some other Riders all ready for the blast into turn 1.

Ok Ok enough w\ the Serious Tone:p ......anyway I wasnt planning on being up front at all but when we took off i managed 2 grab 3rd in the Holeshot, but by turn 2 i was droppin like crazy, my goggles were off withen 300yrds from all the mud flyin, Held in there missin riders flipping and crashin all over the place, finally by lap 3 my body had enough and with about 25lbs of mud and my hands frozen solid i called it a day.....i hated Quitting but it was that bad!.....anyway to this day that was 1 of only 2 DNFs ive suffered and ill never forget my 1st Race. I cant think of a better way 2 spend a Sunday afternoon than Racing through the woods on the Quad:D

Heres the pic of the Holeshot, i have it hanging on my wall also

JR3
05-03-2006, 02:00 PM
first race was on a stock 400ex at englishtown i was doin okay then crashed heres a pic http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/250ex3/AOL1.jpg

4TraxRider
05-03-2006, 03:06 PM
My first race went pretty well considering. I won the first moto on my old 400ex, and crashed into my buddy over the finish line table for a 3rd. Got 2nd overall and had to buy a set of bars and new front plastic. Funny though, it seems as though it's gotten harder the more I race:huh

A A R O N
05-03-2006, 07:19 PM
First time i raced was this year. Almost landed on a blaster that i didn't see over the top of an uphill then i wrecked on a table top, and this was all in practice. So, needless to say, the first moto was a little scary, i just hung back in the pack and let almost everybody go by for the holeshot, then by the third turn i passed half the pack and just hung there the whole race. I ended up 7th of 18. The second moto was a little better, i actually tried to start off a little faster and was maybe 5th or 6th out of the holeshot. I stayed there the whole moto until the last lap when i got hit by a yfz and lost like 4 spots.....then i gained some ground on the back stretch and absolutely flew past a 450r up a hill:D . That was the highlight of the race cause he passed me when i got hit.....anyway....i got one more person after that and finished 4th of 18. I ended up getting 4th overall.....on the trusty 250r.:macho

fasterblaster09
05-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Well my first race was a drag race...and I was on my dads stroker drag shee,and we was racing 300ft. Well I was going against this other shee,and he got kinda close and hit a bump his front end came up and his tire got caught on my footpeg and needless to say my bike wound up in front of him sideways,then flipped,long story short I ended up in some trees downhill. However, I did win the race,because he pushed me accross the line lol. Hope your first race comes out better than mine,good luck

YFZ450Ridr
05-03-2006, 09:19 PM
my first harescramble kind of sucked. i did decent on the hole shot and about 5 minutes in, somebody bumped me from behind and i hit a tree right before a field section. i lost all front brake power, bent my bars way up, and fell into the mud getting it all over my hands. i didnt think about it and put my hands right back onto the bars full of mud and i couldnt hang on for a thing. overall i managed to have some fun and finished 26th out of 40. next race i plan on doing much better.

drybranch
05-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys, these are great stories and making me anxious to get in a race but I have to wait on my pipe and some other stuff to get here. Probably race the Koontz Series at the Parsons, WV track for the first race.

250rinLV
05-04-2006, 06:20 PM
My first race was actually on a motorcycle. it was at russ pearson's ranch in central nevada. my brother was doing a desert race and my dad suggested i try.(even though i probably had 20 hours on a motorcycle in over a year.) it was badddddd. first of all i fell over in the whoops (cough.. not a motorcycle rider.. cough) about 1000 ft. into the race. then i couldn't get my bike started until everyone was already gone out in the moutains. i then kept going at a turtles crawl for about 1 mile, still in view of all the trucks, until i finally gave it up and rode back to my dads truck. not a good experience.

my next race however was far better. it was on my OHV of choice a quad:) it was a pretty fun grand prix race in searchlight,Nevada. that race i ended up winning. a lot better than my last race

dont be too nervous whenever you race.

i've seen people at desert races who won't even talk before they start.

when i go race i like to think im just going out riding(except of course for being full throttle the entire 25 miles:macho )

no matter what just make sure you have fun.

Loser450
05-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Everybody here seems to have a wrecked their first race... that's why the beginner class is always fun to watch. :D

Fasteryfz
05-05-2006, 10:36 AM
I pulled the holeshot big time! Then I didn't turn and went straight into a thicket of tree's, flipped over the handlebars back onto the track and caused a giant pile up. I got back on the quad and hit at least 8 trees before completing a lap! I blew a front tire on lap 2 from another tree so I called it a day and went to the truck. I have video that I'll post when I get home!

I have been hooked ever since! Thanks to that race I'm in debt up to my eyeballs and working two jobs to support my insane habit!

Next.............................................. ..........................

KWAD GAWD
05-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Here's a not so good one. I was 17, it was the day before my senior year of HS. I went to an Aerosmith concert the night before... I stayed out late and only slept for 4-5 hours. I was on my trusty bone stock 1993 RM125, good shape but slow as hell compared to the CRs and KXs. There were 5 people in 125 C... and my good buddy who I came with was one of them. Moto one, I fouled my "Splitfire" spark plug on the line - changed it, and managed to ride 2 laps and got horrible arm pump. The second moto I was in fourth in the first turn, rode a lap - managed to pass one dude and moved into third. My buddy was in 2nd and in sight.... So, I'm riding like a maniac to catch him. (I was 17). I got going to fast on this one long straight... breaked hard to slow for upcoming left hander.... hit a massive breaking bump and it bucked me into space. I woke up in loamy berm with the bike laying on top of my legs and couldn't move. They hauled me off in the ugly white van of pain full of morphine... I cracked my pelvis and was laid up for about a month, then on crutches for another 3 weeks. Bad first race. It sucked.

trick250r
05-05-2006, 04:48 PM
i've never... never mind, i dont want to jinx myself.

okay, ive never wrecked in a race.

my first race was a 250EX w/ a FMF megamax pipe and nerfs. i was in 7th grade and i raced the 4-stroke class (against YFZ's, 250R's, modded Z 400's, and modded 400Ex's). the first moto, i was dead last :devil: and came up on a YFZ and a 400EX hung up in this corner. so there's this guy that rode in the open class on a predator standing by this turn. he's standing there waving his hat towards the water truck path around the inside of the turn. it looks like he's about to have a heart attack. so i go on the inside and pass the two. i got enough of a lead that i got 2nd. the second moto comes and these guys are falling off of their bikes because of braking bumps ( i, of course could not go fast enough to fall off :grr:) i ended up getting a 3rd. somehow that put me in 2nd or 3rd overall, i was pleased.