PDA

View Full Version : Throttle cable adjustment

08-04-2002, 10:31 PM
I have a 02 300ex and want to know how to do this cable adjustment. Is it somthing where i can do it at the thumb throttle or do i have to work with the carb? I have no idea how to do it and none of the other treads make cents, so any and all the help i can get would be nice thanks guys, brent

Nausty
08-04-2002, 10:46 PM
it should have it in your manual but if it isn't then I think you have to adjust the cable which is kinda like on a bicycle where you have to spin the screw and nut. Me I just adjusted it so there wasn't any freeplay in the throttle.

RobG
08-04-2002, 10:46 PM
I'd like to know this too. I was out at Sand Mountain this weekend, and no matter how hard I tried, I always got beat by the other 400EX's. I got beat by one that's 100% stock, and got beat by another that had the IDENTICAL mods to mine, both by the same amount.

I seriously wonder if I'm getting WOT.

Rob

08-04-2002, 10:50 PM
I lost my manual so im still stumped on how to do it

RUFIO
08-04-2002, 10:52 PM
me too, what will this do if you adjust, give you more throttle push?

Nausty
08-04-2002, 10:53 PM
probably not. I know before I adjusted mine I was pry only giving it 3/4 of the throttle when I thought I was wide open which means i'm not getting the fuel to the motor that it needs. Just take off your throttle cover and adjust it so that there is barely a tad of freeplay. And like I said I think its just like adjusting bicycle brakes by the levers sept its been a while so I don't remember. If you guys do a search for "free mods" then you should come up with a lot more. Also rob g is your machine jetted properly?

RobG
08-04-2002, 11:00 PM
Re: Jetting

All I know is that it has a 155 main jet in it, which seems to work fine. How would I know otherwise? The thing was jetted when I got it, by the dealer that the previous owner had do all of his service.

Rob

Nausty
08-05-2002, 12:16 AM
what do you mean you got be? by drag or top speed? If its drag could it be because you have taller tires? although the 14 tooth front spocket should make up the differance. Do you need valves adjusted? I don't think that would make much of a differance in power.

RobG
08-05-2002, 03:57 AM
Got beat in the drags up competition hill.

I don't have taller tires on the dunes... I'm running 20" Sand Skate II paddle tires (and also Dune Tracker 22" fronts). The sprocket helps nicely in the low-end and makes all the gears more usable, but I do wonder if I might have done better if I put the 15T sprocket back on. With it, I would stay in 2nd all the way up, but with the 14T, I'd go into 3rd and then within about 10-15 sec I'd have to drop back into 2nd.

Rob

TheX1992
08-05-2002, 10:24 AM
ok at the part where the throttle meets the thumb throttle/twist throttle part, there should be a little boot. pull the boot back along the cable and there should be a nut with a screw type thing where the cable goes into. turn the nut counter clockwise so it backs off alot. now play with the screw left and right til you have no play in your throttle but dont back it off so much that it pulls the cable itself. see if this works. sorry for the bad quality picture.

08-05-2002, 05:42 PM
I just got done riding my 300ex after i adjusted the throttle cable and at full throttle its a world of diffrence, this is the best free mod! I got my buddy down the street with his piped warrior and normally in top speed he will pass me up but it was nose to nose now and i didnt spend any money, its a wonderful thing!:D

JB's 400ex
08-06-2002, 01:43 PM
I just went out and adjusted my cable and it made a huge difference. Alot more responsive throttle due to some slack probably and a little more top speed. Everyone should take a look. It was a very noticable difference.

AtvMxRider
08-06-2002, 07:44 PM
I just got finished adjusting my throttle cable. What a difference! Best money I never spent. I love free mods.