PDA

View Full Version : Whats up! Got my first Quad (03' 400ex)

kingofthehill
05-03-2006, 09:10 AM
been on the forum a few days reading till my eyes bleed... i just picked up a 2003 400ex and have had a blast on it...

i bought this quad with the intentions on letting my girl ride it while i ride my cr500 in the dunes, but now i want one too :devil:

man this little guy is pretty quick... cant wait to start modding it, current mods are just some nerf bars, white bros pipe and filter...

anyone reccomend a good performance upgrade for it?

also looking at some armor for it, skids... bumpers... and definatley some new graphics....

anyhow, just saying whats up and letting ya guys know you'll be see'ing me around here and watch this puppy upgrade, gonna be a beast i tell ya :p

here is a pic of it. (nothing special yet)

JOe

http://i1.tinypic.com/x3eg75.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/x3egd4.jpg

tim colston
05-03-2006, 09:33 AM
You didn't go wrong with that purchase. Nice clean quad. Congrats.

I have heard that an HRC kit with an outerwears on the lid will wake the bike up even more. That is going to be my next step.

Congrats on the nice 400

05-03-2006, 09:47 AM
there is not an hrc kit for the 400ex, but there are aftermarket cams, and essentially all the other parts of the kit that can also be bought for the 400ex. the 400s take well to any mods you do to them. stay away from the wb and big gun rev kits though. one thing that may help out is to look for a white bros header to go with the slip on. it will add a little more for ya.

it is a good bike and that one is as clean as they come.

as far as skids go, a .250 thick swinger skid is an absolute must unless it will be on am mx track only. chassis skids don't need to e that thick, but are necessary also. if price don't pmatter, then prm is the way to go. if you wanna save about $20 or $25 on the swinger skid and get one just as good as the prm, get an armadillo....don't really matter as long as the swing arm skid is .250 thick, anything less will bend...a-arm guards are nice, but after running them on the 400ex, i don't think they are that necessay

i always liked the ac bumper, but their quality is going downhill. that is what is on my wifes 400ex right now...i am running an ims rolld esign calssic on my 450r and i like it alot. i also have the prm grab abr on both of them. the wider grip these bars offer make lifting the rear easier.

i got my graphics from graphicmx, but they are out of business even though their website is still up

click the links below to see the bumpers and grab abrs on my bikes

i guess they don't work anymore because they are links to another site...not that i am advertising for that site, just an easy way to let my machines be see without having a long arse signature...i guess i will have to have the long signature from now on...
if you want to see what the bumpers and stuff look like, i will send you a pm with the links in them...

trx400EXtreme
05-04-2006, 06:32 PM
sweet bike. u cant go wrong with a 400ex. i got an 02 400ex and it rides nice and couldnt be more reliable. good choice.

miller821
05-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Man that thing is clean and shiny.. You'll never go wrong with a Honda..

QuadManKev
05-04-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
stay away from the wb and big gun rev kits though.

whats wrong with them?

05-05-2006, 06:46 AM
they are just the cdis for a dirt bike.

a quick answer is that there is a circuit in them that prevents the plug form firing if the rpms are too low. the starting rpms of the 400ex, being detuned for a quad chassis, is just above that point. so a lot of times when starting the bike, if the battery is not 110% or it is slightly cold out, the rpms don't reach that point and the plug don't fire. i killed 2 batteries in one day before i learned this...then i put the stock cdi back in and the bike started up immediately