PDA

View Full Version : wire crimp or solder

alberndt
05-03-2006, 08:19 AM
I was watching build or bust last night and the guy building the bike was told by the shop owner that they never solder wires, they only use crimps. This doesn't make sense to me. What is the best method to connect two wires (curious about my tether)?

Scro
05-03-2006, 08:54 AM
I think I heard somewhere that solder will lower the resistance. That may be the reason. But I wouldn't think that it would be enough to harm anything?:confused:

NorCalRacer
05-03-2006, 08:55 AM
If access to the wire is a problem I would reccomend solder. Solder is the best way to splice a wire. The type of solder matters, for electrical applications I prefer to use a flux and a 60/40 lead-tin rosin core solder. This can be found at most hardware stores. Second, use a hot gun, 100 Watts or more, most of the little ones are for circuits and such. Also use a high quality shrinkwrap.
Crimps are effective and easy, but I would only reccomend them in easy access areas because they can fail a number of ways: The insulation can be broken by a crimper and short out, the wire can break in the crimp or the crimp can simply deteriorate. Also, I have almost never seen a decent set of crimpers at a hardware store, only automotive or specialty store sell real crimpers, don't buy cheap ones. NEVER use wire taps (the splice in crimps that cut insulation) if avoidable, these are just plain cheesy and wrong.
Solder provides the best most stable connection with less resistance every time. I don't think I would care much for a bike built entirely with crimps.. something seriously wrong with that...

250rAL
05-04-2006, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by bama450r
I think I heard somewhere that solder will lower the resistance. That may be the reason. But I wouldn't think that it would be enough to harm anything?:confused:

Lower resistance is a good thing. As far as putting a connector on, I crimp and then solder.

popo
05-04-2006, 07:59 AM
Duct tape :D

insaneracin2003
05-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by popo
Duct tape :D
lmao :macho

NorCalRacer
05-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by 250rAL
Lower resistance is a good thing. As far as putting a connector on, I crimp and then solder.

That is a good idea for not breaking your crimps but probably will not help much with resistance. Crimps put a wire in a sleeve of leeser metal (I am pretty sure aluminum) and then squeeze the wires but usually the contact has to go through the crimp material. Unless your solder penetrates through the crimp,(which it might) it is just holding the wire in place.
The best possible connection is made when 2 copper wires are soldered directly together. The main advantage to solder is that it is much cheaper than crimps in the long run. When I first learned how to wire cars, I probably spent over $300 in crimp fittings before I broke down and bough the soldering equipment

Slinky
05-04-2006, 11:56 AM
i'd rather take the time to solder and shrink wrap than crimp. It holds up so much better.

250R-Dee
05-04-2006, 12:26 PM
For connections and splices that will not get disturbed I use solder and heat shrink. For terminations and disconnects I use crimps but I have a habit of adding a bit of solder just to ensure the connector stays put.