PDA

View Full Version : carbon fiber wheel

gwroy
05-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Has anyone bought the carbon fiber wheels? I was hoping to save a little weight but don't know if they hold up to sand duning/jumping/mx. I have asked a couple of people (not from this forum) and each response is different. Do you guys know of any advantages of the carbon fiber over the aluminum?

Thanks

05-03-2006, 07:45 AM
the hiper cf wheels take a lot more abuse than the aluminum ones. they weigh about the same though. one of the nice things about hipers is that they are modular, meaning if in the slim chance you break any part of them, you only have to replace that part, not the whole wheel. they look killer too, plus you can get the rings in different colors.

get them you will not be disappointed!!!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/TSCPW-shockcoversrightside.JPG

2MuchChi450R
05-03-2006, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad

Definitely, I've thrown just about everything I could at the wheels and only come out with some nicks and scratches on the beadlock rings :huh

quad2xtreme
05-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by gwroy
Has anyone bought the carbon fiber wheels? I was hoping to save a little weight but don't know if they hold up to sand duning/jumping/mx. I have asked a couple of people (not from this forum) and each response is different. Do you guys know of any advantages of the carbon fiber over the aluminum?

Thanks

Dual beadlock carbon fiber wheels are lighter when compared to dual beadlock aluminum wheels.

A stock aluminum front wheel is lighter than a comparable non-beadlock carbon fiber front wheel.

The biggest benefit is carbon fiber wheels are way more durable under all conditions (assuming it isn't hot enough in the desert to melt them...haha).

You can run lower tire pressure too without worrying about egg-shaping them like aluminum wheels when landing from jumps.

I have them on 2 quads now and the 3rd will have them soon.

/Jon

duke416ex
05-03-2006, 09:50 AM
I love mine. I ran atleast one lap at my last xc race with a flat rear and didn't hurt it a bit. I have also bent a stainless tie rod and not hurt the wheel yet.

05-03-2006, 09:56 AM
the hiper cf wheels take a lot more abuse than the aluminum ones. they weigh about the same though. one of the nice things about hipers is that they are modular, meaning if in the slim chance you break any part of them, you only have to replace that part, not the whole wheel. they look killer too, plus you can get the rings in different colors.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/TSCPW-shockcoversrightside.JPG

what size razr2's are you running up front?

05-03-2006, 09:59 AM
those are 21's my friend had the 22 and they seemed tall to me so i went with the 21's

05-03-2006, 10:00 AM
yeah, i need to buy a set, and didn't know whether to go with 22 or 21.

do you race XC?

05-03-2006, 10:18 AM
no, i ride traills agressively...some people accuse me of racing when i ride...the 22s are a lot taller...if i can this weekend, i'll try and get some pics of my friends 06 with 22s on next to mine with 21s...there is a big difference...more than an inch

sorry to hihjack your thread

JRP
05-03-2006, 12:56 PM
yea i like my hipers alot too.:devil:

brandon34r
05-03-2006, 02:34 PM
mmmm Hipers...even better with TireBalls:D

I love my wheels,believe me,they've been through everything known to man and are still holding strong,I just need to get some new blue rings.If anyone got any I need 4 9 inch rear and 2 10 inch fronts

DJJ450r
05-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by brandon34r
mmmm Hipers...even better with TireBalls:D

I love my wheels,believe me,they've been through everything known to man and are still holding strong,I just need to get some new blue rings.If anyone got any I need 4 9 inch rear and 2 10 inch fronts

Yep Tireballs are awesome. My rings are lookin pretty bad I'm gettin new ones this weekend. These rims can take a beating:macho

awj8074
05-03-2006, 04:51 PM
anyone know the cheapest place to get the hipers? I need new front wheels and if im going to spend the money i want something thats going to last. I have mabye 1 or 2 scratches on the back wheels so i think im just gonna go with double beadlocks for the front. Also what offset and size do i need?

brandon34r
05-04-2006, 03:42 AM
I'm pretty sure they only make single beadlocks for the front.It will be a 10 inch rim also

05-04-2006, 04:25 AM
hipers for the fronts are only single beadlocks, no double. if you want stock sizing and offset, get 3+2 offset in a 10" rim.

quad2xtreme
05-04-2006, 06:37 AM
hipers for the fronts are only single beadlocks, no double. if you want stock sizing and offset, get 3+2 offset in a 10" rim.

Get the single beadlock with 3+2 and you will be close to stock. If you go with no beadlock front with 3+2, you will be 1" narrower than stock as they are really 3.5+1.5 offset wheels.

/Jon

awj8074
05-04-2006, 02:04 PM
is $354 for 2 fronts a good deal?

05-04-2006, 02:18 PM
that sounds about right and 371 or around there for the rears

awj8074
05-04-2006, 02:23 PM
what about lugnuts will the stock ones work with the wheels? Just orderd the wheels they should be here next week. Got the blue ring :D

quad2xtreme
05-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by awj8074
what about lugnuts will the stock ones work with the wheels? Just orderd the wheels they should be here next week. Got the blue ring :D

You can reverse your stock lugnuts so the flat side goes against the rim.

Otherwise, Rocky Mountain ATV sales 10mm lugnuts.

Or for lug that will totally cover the stud, call Colby at C&D Racing.

/Jon

awj8074
05-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
You can reverse your stock lugnuts so the flat side goes against the rim.

Otherwise, Rocky Mountain ATV sales 10mm lugnuts.

Or for lug that will totally cover the stud, call Colby at C&D Racing.

/Jon alright i though i had heard something about turning the stock lugnut over i think that is what im will do.

05-05-2006, 09:45 AM
what keeps the stock lug from backing off? the taper is what locks it in place.

quad2xtreme
05-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by force
what keeps the stock lug from backing off? the taper is what locks it in place.

47 ft/lbs of pressure. Lots of wheels don't have tapered inserts.

/Jon

05-05-2006, 01:14 PM
I have hipers on my quad. I think they are great wheels for me. Do you ever wonder why none of the GNCC Pros run them??? Because they break!! Aluminum wheels bend they don't break. You can finish on a bent rim but not a broken one. I have seen hiper wheels break on the front when you slam a rock really hard. i don't follow MX so I don't know if they use them.

VIGILANTE MAN
05-05-2006, 01:47 PM
So none of the GNCC pro's run Hipers?

outlaw450r
05-05-2006, 02:14 PM
I go to alot of gncc races and about all of the pros run hipers along with most everybody else. I've only heard of a couple breaking and if they do you can buy just the part thats broke. If you bend a aluminum wheel or your lugs come loose it's trash.

awj8074
05-06-2006, 03:02 PM
ok now im just waiting for the hipers to get here next week. Do they come with valve stems or do i use my ones from the old wheel?

VIGILANTE MAN
05-07-2006, 05:56 AM
Mine came with the valve stems installed.

You'll love these rims.

awj8074
05-07-2006, 03:33 PM
:o looks like im going to have to get new tires too. Went for a ride and well you can see from the pics.

Notice anything here?
http://www.upshizzle.com/x/tire 1.JPG

How about Now?

http://www.upshizzle.com/x/tire3.JPG

http://www.upshizzle.com/x/tire2.JPG

05-08-2006, 10:24 AM
hiper makes the best wheels on the market, end of story :macho

trost66
05-08-2006, 08:25 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f23/trost66/100_1077.jpg

I love my hipers. It is nice being able to run lower tire preasure and getting a lifetime warrenty is nice also. Figure it is the last rims you will buy

05-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
I have hipers on my quad. I think they are great wheels for me. Do you ever wonder why none of the GNCC Pros run them??? Because they break!! Aluminum wheels bend they don't break. You can finish on a bent rim but not a broken one. I have seen hiper wheels break on the front when you slam a rock really hard. i don't follow MX so I don't know if they use them.

are you kidding me?

almost 10 out of the top 15 pros run them, they do not break, aluminum wheels vs hipers are like compairing a geo metro with a gt40, dude its not even close

go with hiper, you wont regret it, ive slammed so many things, no breaks, no cracks, no problems

IOWAracer
05-09-2006, 07:21 PM
As Yurik said 10 out of the top 15 pros are running them we raced one of the rockiest racesand roughest in the GNCC history last weekend i went in with brnad new wheels all i did was scratch one of the rings and it wasnt even bad they are the ebst wheels my advice is if your breaking them maybe you should slow down and stay on the track?

05-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by IOWAracer
As Yurik said 10 out of the top 15 pros are running them we raced one of the rockiest racesand roughest in the GNCC history last weekend i went in with brnad new wheels all i did was scratch one of the rings and it wasnt even bad they are the ebst wheels my advice is if your breaking them maybe you should slow down and stay on the track?

lets put it this way, he would probably bend his frame, or break his a-arms before he even damaged a hiper wheel

kbass24emtp
05-09-2006, 08:08 PM
I would get the lug nuts that C&D sells, they don't eat into the aluminum like the stock ones do when you turn them around. Plus they look cool with the wheels. You could also go and get some washers and use them along with the stockers. You will love the wheels. Like Yurik stated if you break a wheel, you did some damage to something else.

05-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by kbass24emtp
I would get the lug nuts that C&D sells, they don't eat into the aluminum like the stock ones do when you turn them around. Plus they look cool with the wheels. You could also go and get some washers and use them along with the stockers. You will love the wheels. Like Yurik stated if you break a wheel, you did some damage to something else.

ya, make sure if you use the stock lugs to get washers and turn them around, thats what i do on mine

awj8074
05-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
ya, make sure if you use the stock lugs to get washers and turn them around, thats what i do on mine so i need to put washers between the backwards stock lugnut and the wheel?

bwilson624
05-09-2006, 10:45 PM
so i need to put washers between the backwards stock lugnut and the wheel?

Yes

05-10-2006, 09:46 AM
probably would be best to use the following, in this order:

1.) Flat washer
2.) Split Lock Washer
3.) Backwards lug nut

05-10-2006, 10:13 AM
ive never had a problem with mine comming off and i hand tighten mine, you should be ok with just the washer and the backwards lug nut IMO

awj8074
05-10-2006, 01:22 PM
still dont have a tacking number from Hiper i orderd the wheels last thrusday and i got a email saying they would be here in 5 business days and they charged my CC but still no email with a ups tracking number. I think im gonna have to call and see if they were shipped yet.

05-10-2006, 02:41 PM
they may be back ordered on center section, id jus call and see

awj8074
05-10-2006, 02:59 PM
they may be back ordered on center section, id jus call and see tried calling 4 times and i keep getting voice mail

awj8074
05-11-2006, 05:43 PM
finaly got ahold of Hiper and the wheels should be here tomorrow. So we took the tires off the old wheels so I could patch the one that the stick went through.

I think the stock rims are about dead.

http://www.upshizzle.com/a/wheel1.JPG

http://www.upshizzle.com/a/wheel2.JPG

http://www.upshizzle.com/a/wheel3.JPG

http://www.upshizzle.com/a/wheel4.JPG

http://www.upshizzle.com/a/whee5.JPG

bwilson624
05-11-2006, 11:47 PM
Yes, I believe those have seen better days

awj8074
05-12-2006, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by bwilson624
Yes, I believe those have seen better days there are way to many rocks around here

prepracing
05-13-2006, 05:31 AM
are you kidding me?

almost 10 out of the top 15 pros run them, they do not break, aluminum wheels vs hipers are like compairing a geo metro with a gt40, dude its not even close

go with hiper, you wont regret it, ive slammed so many things, no breaks, no cracks, no problems

I don't think so......Borich, Smiley,Jenks,Cook,Santo is all I can think of. Walk down pro row and you will see more Douglas shamrock beadlocks than anything else. And I think Yokely is the only person that runs ITP. Oh yeah.....hipers do bend, they have an aluminum center that will bend just as easy as any other rim, only good thing is you can replace the center instead of the entire rim

KEVIN132
05-13-2006, 07:53 AM
JUST GET THEM AND POST HOW AWESOME THEY ARE AFTER LIKE US!!!

IOWAracer
05-13-2006, 08:19 AM
I don't think so......Borich, Smiley,Jenks,Cook,Santo is all I can think of. Walk down pro row and you will see more Douglas shamrock beadlocks than anything else. And I think Yokely is the only person that runs ITP. Oh yeah.....hipers do bend, they have an aluminum center that will bend just as easy as any other rim, only good thing is you can replace the center instead of the entire rim

As stated before your gonna have to hit somthing pretty hard to bend a HiPer and if you do that will be the least of your worries it is just about an inch thick solid aluminum i dont think its gonna bend. Borich,smiley,Jenks,cook,santo,Johnson,McGill, New Pro Micheal Burrows all i can think of.

05-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by prepracing

ive walked down pro row many times...

really, you think the center sections will bend? well then, i guess out of all of the wheels they have ever sold, they have never had a case EVER of a bent center section, please do your research before you post :huh

yes they did have a center section recall, and that was due to a computer CNC error, not due to something they physically did with materials, sorry to say, but cnc is MUCH MUCH MUCH, stronger then any douglas wheel

if you honestly think that aluminum wheels are better then hiper wheels, you really need to do your research, and actually try hipers, before you post false acusations about the company on the internet

KEVIN132
05-13-2006, 10:36 AM
its all about sponsors!

05-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by KEVIN132
its all about sponsors!

has nothing to do with it, wether i am sponsored by hiper or not, they still make the best wheels on the market

i am just stating the facts about the company to prove that they are great wheels, unlike prepracing, who obviously thinks they are junk and will bend, which is highly false

Ex'r Marlin
05-13-2006, 11:10 AM
As for me, back in 1999, I thought I made a wise investment going with the Douglas Ultimate Billet Beadlocks... Front and rear for my new Honda 400EX... (This was when I was back East).

Before too long, I noticed flat spots on the rear wheels, and later noticing how out of "true" they became after trail riding and racing "C" Class cross country racing.

Again, I thought I made a wise decision. In late 2000, I decided to invest in a full set of HiPer carbon fiber rims... Dual beadlocks in the rear, and single beadlock up front.

Still have them to this day, still use them, and still true!:macho

They only thing I replaced was the outer rings... I believe I made a wise investment.:)

Back in 2000, I noticed this absolutely crazy racer that had a set of those carbon fiber rims... He was literally launching his atv's over rocks, and greatly pounding his atv though the course as he passed me... Not only once, but several times... His name, Chris Borich. At the time, I felt if this character can ride that hard on his rims through the roughest of terrain... There must be something special about those rims. I could be wrong, but I still think he is around to this day riding racing a series called the GNCC.

Since then, I have witnessed some crazy fast racers using them... Matt Smiley and Traci Cecco to name a few more.

Heck, if the "Ultimate" billet aluminum beadlocks bend on me... And the HiPers have stayed true for me all these years, I do not think it takes a scientist to figure this one out which rim I would recommend.

Note: I am not sponsored by HiPer.

IOWAracer
05-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Before I ran Douglas put them on and in less then an hour of riding not even racing i bent the crap out of one of them and this was on my warrior i bought my 450R and the first thing i got was some front Hipers Ive had them for bout a month and have been to two XC races with them one Iowa series and one the GNCC IN Mo last weekend which is truly the rockiest place ive ever raced I didnt even put a scratch on the bead ring i love them they are the best wheels ive ever had regardless the sponsorship!!!!

broc

prepracing
05-13-2006, 02:53 PM
ive walked down pro row many times...

really, you think the center sections will bend? well then, i guess out of all of the wheels they have ever sold, they have never had a case EVER of a bent center section, please do your research before you post :huh

yes they did have a center section recall, and that was due to a computer CNC error, not due to something they physically did with materials, sorry to say, but cnc is MUCH MUCH MUCH, stronger then any douglas wheel

if you honestly think that aluminum wheels are better then hiper wheels, you really need to do your research, and actually try hipers, before you post false acusations about the company on the internet

well give me your address and I will send you a bent center, and I never said aluminum rims were better, just stated what is out there. So please re-read before you post :grr:

awj8074
05-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by prepracing
well give me your address and I will send you a bent center, and I never said aluminum rims were better, just stated what is out there. So please re-read before you post :grr: you could always just post a pic of the bent center

awj8074
05-13-2006, 03:04 PM
http://www.upshizzle.com/a/wheeltire.JPG

1st one we did we took our time and it was a PITA but still pretty easy to mount. I like it and cant wait to try them out.

IOWAracer
05-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Yea i agree lets see a pic of this bent center and what did you do to bend it?:rolleyes:

prepracing
05-13-2006, 03:46 PM
no camera, not my wheel either. Buddy of mine bent it this year at Steel Creek GNCC, clipped a tree with rear wheel. Still have the center sitting in the garage. AGAIN not saying their a bad wheel or that aluminum's are better. BUT their not indestructable, anything can and at some point will break.

IOWAracer
05-13-2006, 04:04 PM
oooooook, i dont think clipping a tree is gonna do that but i may be wrong :blah:

KEVIN132
05-13-2006, 06:08 PM
hey guys i meant pros use whatever there given thats all. i luv my hipes!!
what are you guys tourqing rings to???? im going 10lbs on rings!!

Ex'r Marlin
05-14-2006, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by KEVIN132
... what are you guys tourqing rings to???? im going 10lbs on rings!!

I torque them down until I see no more space between the ring and the wheel. I also make sure I do not torque down too much on where the (3) mud guard clips would go... Keeping the same space as if I was putting clips in there.

Good luck!

ny300exrider
05-14-2006, 07:48 AM
would having 2-3 of the beadlock ring bolts not fully tightened cause the wheel to wobble? i bought a set of used hipers and during install i stripped 2 or 3 of the bolts while they were halfway in so there is still alittle space between the ring and rim in one or two spots. the wheel wobbles like the axle is bent but it isnt. if it still wobbles after i ez-out the stripped bolts and fully tighten new ones in, what else could be wrong. i sure hope i didnt get jipped!

awj8074
05-14-2006, 08:07 AM
make sure its centered on the hub and there isnt anything between the hub and the rim causing it not to sit right.

prepracing
05-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
would having 2-3 of the beadlock ring bolts not fully tightened cause the wheel to wobble? i bought a set of used hipers and during install i stripped 2 or 3 of the bolts while they were halfway in so there is still alittle space between the ring and rim in one or two spots. the wheel wobbles like the axle is bent but it isnt. if it still wobbles after i ez-out the stripped bolts and fully tighten new ones in, what else could be wrong. i sure hope i didnt get jipped!

sounds like another one with a bent center section :devil:

ny300exrider
05-14-2006, 03:19 PM
dont say that!!!!:mad: if these wheels are bent im going to be PISSED

prepracing
05-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
dont say that!!!!:mad: if these wheels are bent im going to be PISSED

hey if it is they might warranty that for you, and if not you can just buy that piece instead of a whole new wheel

ny300exrider
05-14-2006, 03:47 PM
ill see what happens. i just bought them from an internet dealer and he said they were perfect so if they really are bent im not going to be too happy. hopefully its just something i did wrong.

HiPer Sales
05-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Please note that our wheels carry a one year unconditional warranty. Should ANYTHING happen to the wheels, you simply contact us via phone or e-mail. We will ask a few questions, have you send in the part that is broken, and then send you out a replacement.

Prepracing - please have your friend contact us if he hasn't already so that we can see if it is something that is still under warranty or not.

Thanks,
Angie

prepracing
05-20-2006, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by HiPer Sales
Please note that our wheels carry a one year unconditional warranty. Should ANYTHING happen to the wheels, you simply contact us via phone or e-mail. We will ask a few questions, have you send in the part that is broken, and then send you out a replacement.

Prepracing - please have your friend contact us if he hasn't already so that we can see if it is something that is still under warranty or not.

Thanks,
Angie

He did and I believe you guys took care of it

fast-trx450r
05-20-2006, 11:26 AM
i just weighed my hipers and they're definitely heavier than the stock wheels.

stock front 10x5 wheel - 3.20 lbs
stock rear 9x8 wheel - 3.50 lbs

front hiper 10x5 single bead-lok - 5.70 lbs
rear hiper 9x9 dual bead-lok - 7.00 lbs

that's 12 extra lbs of rotating weight added to the bike. :eek2:

with my razr's and hipers, i have 80 lbs of wheels/tires total vs. 60 lbs stock. that 20 extra lbs. won't help me win any drags for sure but it sure is nice not being skeered of rocks and stumps.

05-21-2006, 08:46 PM
ya....your compairing beadlocks to non-beadlocks, of course they weigh more :huh

fast-trx450r
05-27-2006, 06:20 AM
ya....your compairing beadlocks to non-beadlocks, of course they weigh more :huh

yeah, i know that. i not trying to start anything by my comment. just figured it would be good for a little fyi for people thinking of getting the hiper's to know what kind of weight they add.