PDA

View Full Version : troubles getting into neutral

drew3623
05-02-2006, 07:32 PM
i have a 96 300ex. i am having troubles getting it into neutral. the shifter sticks alot. any suggestions?

05-02-2006, 11:22 PM
adjust the clutch/ buy a new clutch kit

QuadJunkies
05-02-2006, 11:54 PM
^^^ and....Might be a shift Fork.. Been there...done that...TWICE!

400exrider707
05-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
^^^ and....Might be a shift Fork.. Been there...done that...TWICE!

How??? Your about the only person I've seen that has had to do that more than once? What causes the shift forks to go bad?

I ran my 400ex for two straight years of MX and SX and I rarely used the clutch to shift, and I still never had problems.

GPracer2500
05-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Bent shifter forks are usually caused by forcing the shifter up/down without using the clutch OR unloading the engine. Odd crash impacts or accidently stepping down hard on the shifter can do it.

Once a shifter fork gets tweaked a little and it gets a little hard to shift at times, the condition often just gets worse from stomping on the shifter to get it to shift.

Definitely try adjusting the clutch cable first. Make sure the clutch is disengaging fully when the clutch lever is pulled. If that doesn't help, the next thing I'd do is remove the case cover and inspect the clutch components (basket, inner hub, etc.) for excessive wear. If the clutch basket is badly grooved, for example, than the clutch plates might be hanging up and not disengaging properly.

400exrider707
05-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Bent shifter forks are usually caused by forcing the shifter up/down without using the clutch OR unloading the engine. Odd crash impacts or accidently stepping down hard on the shifter can do it.

Once a shifter fork gets tweaked a little and it gets a little hard to shift at times, the condition often just gets worse from stomping on the shifter to get it to shift.

Definitely try adjusting the clutch cable first. Make sure the clutch is disengaging fully when the clutch lever is pulled. If that doesn't help, the next thing I'd do is remove the case cover and inspect the clutch components (basket, inner hub, etc.) for excessive wear. If the clutch basket is badly grooved, for example, than the clutch plates might be hanging up and not disengaging properly.

Yeah that makes sense, but like I said I ran mine for two hard years of racing and I rarely even let off of the gas to shift! It just doesn't seem like a common problem on the near bullet proof 400's, thats why I was wondering why QJ had it happen twice!:eek2:

QuadJunkies
05-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Yeah that makes sense, but like I said I ran mine for two hard years of racing and I rarely even let off of the gas to shift! It just doesn't seem like a common problem on the near bullet proof 400's, thats why I was wondering why QJ had it happen twice!:eek2:
Dunno..I NEVER misshift but 1st and 2nd gear are the most used gears and when you have a big bore there is ALOT more working your Tranny.

Those gears are ALOT more common to go than you might realize on a honda!:eek2:

It was also raced ALOT between two riders my Husband and myself ,so it had alot of seat time

I lost Neutral at a State race completly and this is what thit looked like when we tore it down.

Check this pic and topic out...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=1874219

Gears might be pitted out too,this was my main issue for hitting Nuetral all the time..
ended up needing to replace 2 shift forks that had a very small bend and after a long debate, I replaced my whole tranny with all new gears,forks ,dogs ect so I wasnt mixing new and ole parts... NOT CHEAP

400exrider707
05-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Hmm very interesting. I rarely rarely used 1st gear at all on the track, and that includes starts. That might have something to do with it.

QuadJunkies
05-03-2006, 11:16 AM
If you do a search, you will find theres been several others that had trouble with 1st and 2nd gears going out .

You have been lucky, gears do wear and if you race you will be replacing at some point. ;)
Thats great that you havent had any issues though! :)

05-03-2006, 01:52 PM
are you questioning the intelagence of QJ

:p

400exrider707
05-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by 89honda 250x
are you questioning the intelagence of QJ

:p

No, not at all, I have respect for anyone who can deal with all of the idiot kids on this forum. Thats what it is though, a forum, meant for discussion, and thats exactly what I was doing. It doesn't appear that QJ thought I meant anything by it, and I didn't. Its a good thing no one is questioning your intelligence because you can't even spell the word.

04TRX400EX
05-03-2006, 10:26 PM
My dad's 400EX has the same problem. It has been into the dealer three times to get fixed (under warranty) because you cannot find neutral. My 400 is perfectly fine, but his has problems. The dealer always just adjusts the cable or whatever and says it is fine ... we try it there and it's better, but literally as soon as we get it home, you can't find neutral again. Anyone know what the deal is since it's obviously not just an adjustment thing? As for a bent shift fork, I'm not overally familiar with the concept. If you all think that's the problem, please explain further.

Thanks!

QuadJunkies
05-03-2006, 11:37 PM
No, not at all, I have respect for anyone who can deal with all of the idiot kids on this forum. Thats what it is though, a forum, meant for discussion, and thats exactly what I was doing. It doesn't appear that QJ thought I meant anything by it, and I didn't. Its a good thing no one is questioning your intelligence because you can't even spell the word. DOH!!! LOL!!!:eek: :p

Im not insulted a bit.. ;) Im sure thre is various things can can cause this issue so its all good.

Ive never claimed to be a smart cookie ... :o :ermm:

john.E.business
05-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Well i have a 450R and i had a terrible time gettin it into neutral the last time i rode it... seemed very very touchy compared to b4?? and sometimes when im riding i will be in 2nd 3rd and go to shift and it kicks into neutral!!! i don't know why it does this but it seem very strange!! it doesn't happen all the time but on occassion!!

stc416rider
05-04-2006, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by john.E.business
Well i have a 450R and i had a terrible time gettin it into neutral the last time i rode it... seemed very very touchy compared to b4?? and sometimes when im riding i will be in 2nd 3rd and go to shift and it kicks into neutral!!! i don't know why it does this but it seem very strange!! it doesn't happen all the time but on occassion!!

wouldnt that be between 1st and 2nd???? j/w

john.E.business
05-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Lol yes it would but in my case it happens when im in higher gears while im riding it is messed up... but it was also touchy when i was trying to kick into neutral as well

05-04-2006, 02:48 PM
No, not at all, I have respect for anyone who can deal with all of the idiot kids on this forum. Thats what it is though, a forum, meant for discussion, and thats exactly what I was doing. It doesn't appear that QJ thought I meant anything by it, and I didn't. Its a good thing no one is questioning your intelligence because you can't even spell the word.

you can read it so whatever who cares if you can spell right you got the point

i didnt go look it up to be right