PDA

View Full Version : How to swap springs on front shocks?

Glamis400ex
05-02-2006, 07:06 PM
I have a softer set of main springs I want to try on my Triple rate Elkas. Is it tough to swap them out?

Glamis

hondardr4life
05-03-2006, 04:31 AM
When i was up at Baldwins last, I watched them rebuild my shocks. Taking the springs on/off looked rather simple. You just put the shock upside down in a vice, press down on the spring, and turn that little plate near the bottom mount and remove it. Then the springs should come right off.

400exrider707
05-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
I have a softer set of main springs I want to try on my Triple rate Elkas. Is it tough to swap them out?

Glamis

I know on the set of triple rate elkas I had, if you adjust the ride height collar all the way loose the springs shouldn't even have any pressure on them, then the bottom part I believe just unclips off. Loosen the pre-load collar first and just look at it, it should be very simple.

bradley300
05-03-2006, 10:13 AM
take out all the preload
use a screw driver to push the rubber bump stop a few inches away from the bottom of the shock.
put the shock upside down in a vise and push down on the main spring.
have a friend pull the red retainer off the shaft then the spring will come off. take note of the direction of the crossover in case it comes off, but it shouldnt

Glamis400ex
05-03-2006, 12:07 PM
OK, I got it. A little tough if ya don't have a vice, but I got it.

BTW...what's the crossover???

Thanks,

Glamis

300exOH
05-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
OK, I got it. A little tough if ya don't have a vice, but I got it.

BTW...what's the crossover???

Thanks,

Glamis

The crossover is the black plastic spacer that is between the springs. If your shocks are SSD then the top spring may be soft enough that you can compress the springs by hand to remove the retainer.