PDA

View Full Version : help please

mrchispas
05-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Hello guys I'm new to the whole ATV thing. I just bought a 2003
LTZ400. I was told it was a good deal . and I rode it for awhile and . it started smoking blue smoke not a lot only when the rpms are up. also it is very hard to start when it is warmed up. any help would be considered. thank you

300exrider25
05-01-2006, 06:59 PM
the blue smoke is oil burning if you have rolled it or done a wheelie and had it striaght up then that could get oil on the top of the cylinder i did a wheelie and had it standing striaght up and it would puff smoke but only when i would get the revs real high mine is also hard to start when it is hot dont know why but a hot start would be a good investment

mrchispas
05-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Well , thank you for responding was kinda hoping to get a lot more answers. I'm not sure what a hot start is , but will look into it. I'm thinking maybe having the carb cleaned.

also I did an oil change and draind the engine and, then put 1 quart into the resovoir. and it filled up.
so I thought I would start it to get the oil in the engine.
ok duhh well never knew there was a drain plug for the resovoir. damn , I rode it for awhile an checked to see if any oil showed up in the air box , well yes so I thought hmmmmmmmmm . let me check the oil level.
when I took the dipstick out the oil came flowing out like a fountain, damn learned my lession on that one.
this is why I think there was oil in the air box. does anyone else think this as well.

wreckdiver
05-03-2006, 04:38 AM
Hard starting and a bit of smoke can indicate time for the valves to be adjusted. How long has it been?

osmond.mark
05-03-2006, 12:26 PM
It could be oil in air filter. Did you drain the oil tank and the engine case? If so it would take ~2000ml. What exactly did you do when you changed the oil?

mrchispas
05-03-2006, 10:13 PM
thank you.
I drained the motor my friend told me that was all I had to do.
shoot I found out that it would not take more than 1/2 a qt of oil due too that I did'nt drain the oil tank. so I filled it to the top and thought it would drain down slowly, but it never did .I rode it for awhile and then I opened the screw to check the level and it came flowing out. I know, I know. I should have never listened to my friend. oh well ...