PDA

View Full Version : No spark

RedRidnghoodlum
05-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Can anybody give me a clue on what might be wrong with my 87 250X? I just sandblasted and painted the whole bike and put it back together and now it has no spark. i traced all the lines to make sure they were all good, made sure the wires to the coil had good connections and used sandpaper to make a good ground for it. anybody have any suggestions?

bwamos
05-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Check the power wire going to your CDI. (Black w white stripe on the 300ex.. I beleive it's a different color on the 250x, different harness, look it up in the service manual). If you dont have a service manual get one.. but I can probably look it up tonight if you need.

Turn the key/switch to on position and check the voltage with the plug removed from the CDI. Should get 12v. Plug it back in and check the voltage from the backside. Probably going to get a lower voltage.. as low as 0.5v.

This means you have a corroded connector somewhere causing excessive resistance.

Just trace that wire all the way back and clean all the connections with some de-oxidizer. If the connector isnt a nice shiny copper/aluminum then it is oxidized.

I almost garauntee this is your problem.

bradrenea
05-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Bwamos, his 250x does not have a battery, so he will not be able to turn the key on and check voltage.

But yeah, it sounds like its just a bad connection somewhere.

I hate to ask this, but did you make sure all of your switches are turned to the ON position? I knew a guy that tore his bike apart and rebuilt it and it would not start. He then started going over everything trying to find the problem. He eventually noticed that the kill switch was turned to the OFF position. After turning it on it fired right up!:D It only took him about three days to figure it out.:devil:

bwamos
05-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by bradrenea
Bwamos, his 250x does not have a battery, so he will not be able to turn the key on and check voltage.

hahah... oops I'm a tard.. I knew that.

It is Monday.. gotta give me some slack.. lol.

Since the 12v wont work.. you could hook up the ohm meter at both ends of the circuit and make sure it is a closed circuit without any resistance between the start of the 12v line and the CDI.

I've seen the Kill switch problem too.

Seen a guy start to tear apart the motor before he realized he left the reverse lever in the active position, also. ;)

bradrenea
05-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I figured you knew. You are one of the few people who actually posts USEFULL and CORRECT info on here on a regular basis.

Just had to give you a hard time!

Moto250X_Rider
05-02-2006, 01:37 PM
your coil might be shot i have a 250x same year and that happend to me....u might have gotten water in it somehow....
i'm on my 3rd one lol that and tie rod ends are the things that go on the 250x other than that there a solid quad i love mine
and if thats not it check your cdi box like some of the other members have told u and make sure u don't have the kill switch in the off setting lol....