PDA

View Full Version : New to quads...break-in procedure??

Vx2
05-01-2006, 07:40 AM
Hey All,

I am brand new to quads. I rented one at Pismo Beach a few weeks ago and a week later, I went out and bought a new 400EX. Do I need to follow any type of break-in procedures? The manual says no hard starts or quick acceleration for the first 15 miles. Is this all I need to worry about? Anything else that I should follow for a new 400EX?

Thanks,

Vince

d3ktrix
05-01-2006, 08:17 AM
Just don’t beat it until you get at least 2 or 3 tanks of gas through it.

You have to put the engine though eat cycles to break everything in, ride for 30min, let the engine cool, ride for the 30 again,,, repeat. I would say do that at least 4-5 times before you start doing long sessions.

Don't put the motor under a lot of load, no hill climbing, running though tons of thick mud or anything.

Don't keep the engine at high RPM for extended periods of time.

I just bought a brand new 05 400EX about a month ago and for my break in I didn’t floor it until I was most of the way though my 3rd tank of gas. Took an insane amount of will power not to open it up as soon as I got it :P

After your first 10 hours change the oil/filter to get all the new metal out of the engine.

underpowered
05-01-2006, 09:57 AM
this is a contraversial subject. some say do heat cycles it the best way to do it, as stated above. others, like myself believe in the break it in like your gonna ride it approach.

Bring the bike up to operating temperature by putting around a field, not really reving it, but not letting it idle either. once it is warm, bust it through the gears WOT multiple times.

Better explaind here at www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

450Rchaser
05-01-2006, 11:29 AM
It's warranty, beat the crap out of it. That's what i did 2 mine anyways. Bent the axle 2nd weekend I had it. I mean man that tree came out of nowhere.

rooster400ex
05-01-2006, 11:34 AM
half throttle for a couple tanks

450Rchaser
05-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Yeah what everyone else is saying. I'm just a little hard on my stuff. I had a break in Dyno done on my GSXR that way I could go straight to hittin 15 grand anytime it was needed. When we do car motors w/ new cam we usually do a 30 min. cam break in and the change the oil. You'll see alot if silverish tint to the oil.

underpowered
05-01-2006, 12:02 PM
on my quad i went exactly as mototune suggested.

on my truck when i rebuilt the motor it in. i let it warm up, backet it out onto the road and layed it square on the floor. the motor red-lined at 4500, but with a chip the rev limiter was removed. the valve springs were only suppesed to be good up to about 5000 rpm, but the motor held together for close to 7000 RPM. had it WAY above teh limiter many times with no problems. it seemed to run better than many other similar truck i had driven.

I think a hard break in is the only way to go.