PDA

View Full Version : ouch my poor new bumper

Rootar
04-30-2006, 11:29 PM
i jsut am not having good luck with bumpers :( sorry pappy its was pretty

i need to figure something out, as you can see it was attacked by the raised expanded metal on my freestyle ramp, i can believe i made it tot he landing when it happened. i was runnign stock 22s int he front last time i hit my ramp and 45 and today i swapped them out for my kenda mxs (because my brother wanted his tires and wheels back so he could ride, so today i moved my ramp back up to get a new feel for how fast to go becasue i the tires making a gearing change) well everythoing was fine till i hit it about mid 3rd gear for a 45 foot gap and then my frame drug the ramp during preload, i come up short and cased the back of my safety hard enuff to rip my airbox off. :o and yet i didnt go OTB

any suggestions i dont have a set of 22 fronts any more jsut these mx tires and well i wanna ride, should i raise my ride height more im at 9 inches right now, i turned my highspeed comp up 3 clicks after i fixed my airbox and hit it agian and it drug agian but barely i dont wanna go any stiffer on my compression because its no where near bottoming out right now so should i try 10 inch ride height or what?

jrspawn
04-30-2006, 11:41 PM
I wouldnt go any higher with your ride heigth. Your might need a stiffer main spring, or change your crossovers. Ive had my front end on some of my race quads(with suspension perfectlly set by penske/axis for me) do the same thing, there just comes a point and time when a jump/lip can be to steep, most of the time its because of a smaller jump with a steep lip, or a very fast/steep transition faced jump. What kinda shcoks are you running? If you can add more cross over to a a second or third rate, to put more load on the main spring it might help you, but adding more cross over to the first rate might make the ride heigth to high. Expierment with it i guess, make it feel comfortable to you.

Justin
jrspawn@aol.com

Rootar
05-01-2006, 05:29 AM
elka elites buitl and set up by noleen

they work amazing and ive never had a problem wh;en i was running 22s, now with 20s my frame drags

jeremy_283
05-01-2006, 05:31 AM
my stock ex did the same... well i think i did...... my ramp got a lil to steep to suddenly

Rootar
05-01-2006, 05:49 AM
when i had stock shocks it never hit it preloaded alot but never hit always had a couple inches to spare wiht stock now with 20s and zps its draging, im gonna call elka today so they can better explain the crossovers to me, (make sure what i understadn is right) and see what they think.

jrspawn
05-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Get rid of those elkas and get some Axis:D
All joking aside, your gonna have to play with the cross over's. Thats the reason personally i hate elkas, could never get my ride heigth, sag, and preload set good, always either bottomed, sat too high, or rode like crap, but probably just my luck with them. Give them a call, they can probably get you straightened out man.

Justin
jrspawn@aol.com

Rootar
05-01-2006, 09:49 PM
ride height isnt really a concern when im jsut hitting my ramp, when im gonna go to a track i can always change it back, hopefully when i get my zps rear springs on there itll help (if theyll ever get here, i been waitng for 3 months from noleen)

Pappy
05-01-2006, 09:53 PM
damn son, is there anything ive coated you havent put a hurtin on:p trees, ramps lmao! as long as you are ok then the rest is gravy:D

expanded metal and powdecoated surfaces usually dont mix

Rootar
05-01-2006, 10:42 PM
lol yea i guess yuor right on the expanded metal and powder coating dont mix, i havent even put my new stuff to use yet pappy ive been taking it easy :p i mean what one race and about a weeks worth of riding total, thats jsut breaking it in wait till i get a dozer down here to landscape for my new ramp, my friend jsut got a hydrualic tubing bender/roller (he owns a skate park and uses it to bend the coping for the bowls) and well in two weeks or so ill be bending the rails for the new ramp to go with the new landing should be interesting considering we get out of school in a month

just in time to build the new ramp the first week of summer break

Dan_Guetter
05-02-2006, 12:08 AM
its normal...the only way around it is XC travel is what Jon and Derek are running now....

Damn those XC guys and there nice setups