PDA

View Full Version : raptor starting probs

tater_kamik
04-30-2006, 11:11 PM
i have been having problems with starting my raptor for about a month now. here is what is happening: it has been hard to start for some time, i replaced the stator and that fixed one problem. now, i try to start it, and either the relay buzzes, the motor turns over for a second then stops ( nuetral light is still dim and battery has avoltage crop) or the nuetral light just dims and the battery gets a voltage drop. so... i replaced the starter, and the starter relay and it starts perfectly! i noticed the insulation going from the positive side of the battery to the relay has melted... after about 5 starts, same thing happens! it wont turn over, gets the voltage drop and the nuetral light dimming, or the relay buzzing. okay, so i replaced all of the wiring going from the battery to the relay, and from the starter to the relay, and from the battery to the starter, as well as another new relay, but with the same problem. now, im looking at another starter being bad, but does anyone have a different idea? i also used my truck and some jumper cables to try and jump my quad but it does the exact same thing, which makes me believe i need another new starter and or starter relay. any suggestions?

fast raptor
05-01-2006, 10:49 AM
try cleaning your ground wire and all the other conections.

tater_kamik
05-01-2006, 11:04 AM
i replaced my ground wire actually, and all of the connections are good and clean, anything else i might have missed?

fast raptor
05-01-2006, 11:05 AM
all i could think of is the connections, sorry.

tater_kamik
05-01-2006, 11:41 AM
its all good! any help is appreciated. im thinking i should have replaced the wiring before i changed out my first starter and starter relay, i may have taken the second set of both if they were shorting out. i know for sure the first starter had a wonderful burnt electrical smell. i just hate throwing parts at it! plus i want to go riding...:D

RaptorRacer45
05-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Ive been dealing with electrical issues like crazy also so ill be reading all these options also:D

tater_kamik
05-02-2006, 01:13 AM
whats wrong with yours?

RaptorRacer45
05-02-2006, 03:37 AM
Well my starter finally took a crap, but it seems like theres another prolem b\c sometimes when i goto start it in Netural, when i press the start button the temp light comes on and notin happens, before it was a loose connection to my CDI but now its done it again and i have no clue what it is....ive swapped out the start switch, and the stater relay......i have some time 2 play around w\ it but im really tired of Electronics, im in an Electronics class in school also 2 sum that up:rolleyes: ....but yeah thats about it:D

tater_kamik
05-02-2006, 12:25 PM
unfortunately, i dont think i have an extra cdi i could lend you, and i understand the electronics class, thats what i do for a living and man, some things are so dry! like converting from binary to hex, decimal, and octal. boring! does the relay close when you puch the starter switch? and do you get a voltage drop?

RaptorRacer45
05-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Well i know the CDI is fine, its just my wiring is probably crapped up somewhere, its an 01 model and i have a complete 02 wiring harness i can use parts from...its probably sometin real simple but im gonna wait till i get my starter on there then ill go after the rest......it might just be the starter in the 1st place